Discount won't install LT tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Discount won't install LT tires

Has anyone ever had a problem getting LT tires put on Explorers/Mountaineers before? I just went to Discount to get new tires and had the LT235/75R15 Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires picked out to install, even telling them that I was willing to shell out the extra money for LT tires. I got a call from a few minutes ago from them saying that because of the Firestone Tire fiasco Ford has issued a bulletin saying that on 98-01 Explorers only P tires could be used.

Why would LT tires be a problem for Explorers? We've used LT tires on our old 93 Explorer with no problems, and my Mountaineer currently has Bridgestone LT tires on it.

Are there any issues running P tires on Explorers? I don't tow or haul anything, but like to occasionally go off-road once in awhile.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's see. An LT tire has a higher load rating than a pasenger tire. Boy that makes a lot of damn lot of :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't buy the "Ford has issued a bulletin saying that on 98-01 Explorers only P tires could be used."

If this was the case know one would mount tires on any of our Explorers.

I couldn't understand it either. I was willing to pay $118 per tire for the Pirellis and they want me to buy a cheaper tire (pathfinder) for $94 each. I can understand not putting larger tires on the Explorers, but it is the exact same size tire. Our old 93 Explorer has LT235/75R15 tires on it that were purchased at the exact same discount.

back when i was stock discount tire mounted 31x10.50 bfg mt's on my truck with no hassle at all. hell they mounted my 35" bfg mt's too... put them right on and said nothing about it cept that i had a nice truck.

i used to work @ americas which is discount too..... long after i worked there, in the heat of the recall stuff, they put 31s on my explorer......

mountaineergree said:
Find a truck, pull your wheels and take them up there and tell them they are for a trailer or something. That usually works if your dead set on buying tires from them. Otherwise find another tire shop.

Say they are for a Ranger ;) ie..LT :D

They put my 31s on no problem, if that counts. I guess every store has there own policy, who know's.

Probably was some by the book manager. They told me the same thing you were told at one discount, went to another and they gave me the same tires with a better deal. Call a different discount and ask them.

-Rich

Back