Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Do I have to buy 4 tires at once?

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by AmandaB, July 26, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. AmandaB

AmandaB New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      06 Explorer
      I have a 2006 Explorer XLT, i brought it to a tire place yesterday that is pretty reputable and they refused to put on 2 new front tires because they said if they only did 2 I would hear humming and it would damage the Transfer case?? Is that True? I explained to the guy that i could not do all 4 at one time but he refused said he could not do it. Is this a real issue? I called one other place and they seemed to agree but i have never heard it before and i have had 1 flat replaced in the past

Confused
      Mandy

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. patrick112390

patrick112390 Active Member

City, State:
      Alpharetta ga
      97' mountaineer 5.0 4406
      yes if there is more than a 1/4'' diameter difference the auto4wd will go insane.

4. Elessar65

Elessar65 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wichita, Ks
      98 Sport, 95 Ranger SAS
      I don't know about going insane, but it will damage your transfer case. You may not even hear it, but it will be constantly slipping and eventually burn up.

The Auto 4wd works by sensing wheel speed, and if 2 tires are a different diameter (even if they are the same size, worn ones are smaller in diameter than new ones, and even new ones of the same size but different brands can be different) than the other 2 the computer will decide that since they are rotating at different speeds that there is slippage from ice or mud or whatever, and it will tell the transfer case to apply power to the front wheels through a clutch pack. If it is doing this all the time, on and off, it will burn it up.

It sucks, but thats the way it is for any automatic 4wd or awd vehicle, whether its an Explorer or a Subaru Impreza. All 4 SHOULD be replaced at once. Now, is it going to blow up going down the highway and kill you? No. But getting 2 more tires is a lot cheaper than replacing a transfer case to the tune of $2k or so once its all said and done.

5. patrick112390

patrick112390 Active Member

City, State:
      Alpharetta ga
      97' mountaineer 5.0 4406
      actually i have had 2 grenaded front diffs and 1 grenaded transfercase to work on from mis-matched tires...im talking about ring gear teeth stripped off/ housing with a baseball hole in it..

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars