• Register Today It's free!

Do mirrors swing away?

Tired Iron

Reaction score
City, State
Black Daimond, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 sport
Does anybody know if the electric mirrors on a '94 xlt can move like for pounding through the brush. Mine seem to not move but they look like "flexy" type mirrors. When i push and pull on them like for going too close to a tree, they just make a kind of crackling noise like I am going to break it off. I like having mirrors and I want to be able to pull it in for wheeling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Technically they do fold back and I have seen it done. Now as to weather or not the mirrors on your truck will survive the process, I don't know. I think they put that joint in there as more of an emergency thing to prevent it from being snapped off if you hit anything rather than a feature you can use on a regular basis. To me it seems like the joint and the locking mechanism is all plastic, and using it puts a lot of stress on it. I've never played with mine because I didn't want them to get loose or not stay locked in the normal position.

Ok I have clipped a tree with my left mirror on my 1991 while flying down a flat section on a trail.

I can say that the mirrors will fold all the way in to the point that there almost touching the window. Its just a hard process to get it to move. Makes a scary sound also.

my 01 the mirrors fold in and the first time i folded them in the creaked like all heck but i stopped folding them in because the motor in the mirror is wearing out and it doesnt move very well.

The mirror on our '92 folded once so far. I caught the canyon wall when wheeling. They don't move easily and it take quite a hit to make them move. I doubt going through brush is going to make them move.

~Mark

Thanks for the info, Today I found that my mirrors do bend. I put it into a bank in the woods, I was glad to know before hand that they would fold cause it was gettin pretty tight for a minute there.

Back