Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Do we have any authors here?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by rookieshooter, January 26, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    Has anyone ever had some of their writings published? Short stories, tech articles or even books?

I'm compiling my thoughts on a possible self help book after so much nudging by others. If others are suggesting this, and it could help others, then it may be worth while endeavor.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    86-98 Ranger STX
    I have... :D

It is a tough market. You almost have to know someone on the inside of the publishing market to even get a hearing (reading), and they seldom accept unsolicited manuscripts.

I just happen to know the President of LifeWay personally, which is the parent entity of Broadman and Holman, Pincacle Press, and a few other house brands. That's my in...

I've found it best to start with magazine and journal articles. Get your name in print a few times, then it becomes easier to get recognized when the actual book-length work comes into play.

On the other hand, if it is really a self-help book, and making financial gain isn't your major desire, you might consider self-publication, either in print form or on the web. Then just get the word out and see what happens.

Make SURE that you pursue style manuals, manuscript submission details, etc. All are critical for any success!

4. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    2000 Limited
    I've always wanted to write something and get it published. I'm not sure why, because I've never been a big fan of writing. I guess it's just one of those things I'd like to do sometime.

5. FROADER

FROADER Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    1997 XLT
    Peter Weber (hasn't been online here for a long time) wrote an article on our (Peter, me, my friend Winter and FAKRWEE's) 2000 Rubicon Trip in an SUV Magazine. I'll find it when I get home and post some pictures.

6. mattadams

mattadams Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Longmont, CO
    2017 Explorer Sport
    If you count my animal shelters monthly newsletter (I am volunteer coordinator), with a distribution list of about 3800, then I get published all the time! :)

7. rookieshooter

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Matta, that's great that you get involved with the shelter newsletter.

gl, I'm looking at some computer programs that supposedly have the proper format and other related info.
    Other then storing my thoughts on my computer, my first purchase of any writing related item was an Oxford Thesaurus. Should have had one of these years ago.

I do have some people that said they would help, including my Pastor who has written his own books and are widely distributed.

gl, I stated it was a self help book...well, almost self help. It's about turning to the one that can help you the most. I think you know where I'm going with this.

8. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    I wrote different How To threads for this forum. Maybe Rick could compile a list of the best How To threads on this site, find a publisher, and call it: The Best of Explorer Forum with a subtitle: Everything you've wanted to know about fixing Ford vehicles, but were afraid to ask. The first title would have large letters, and the subtitle would have small letters under it. Rick's orange Explorer would be on the front cover.

9. shamaal

shamaal Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    91 Mazda Navajo
    Having written some professional papers and several in-house publications (Automatic Test Equipment programming Using the Conversational On Line Test (COLT) Language & Ground System Specifications for the International Space Station), I've put many words to paper. As others can attest, a graduate degree quickly gets one over the mechanics of writing to arrive at the content. I've have a few pieces of advise that may help.

1. Getting started - some, like myself, write in their heads prior to putting pinkie to keyboard; subsequently the words flow. I find however, that on topics I'm not particularly interested in, it is grueling and I find myself easily distracted. A method that works for me is reading other's discussions on the topic. This allows me to form a an opinion as to their treatment on the subject. Writing my criticism, then forms the basis for my article. Another trick is to start the article off with, "The dictionary defines intercession as ...." and then follow up with how I think it differs or is incomplete. One can substitute a different reference of course; the idea here is to get the words down.

2. Once started - The best advice I received, once a few words have been written down; write when hot - edit when not. That is write down the words that that have been percolating in your brain when you have them. If you sit down and the words aren't coming, go back and edit what you wrote previously, that usually inspires something and cleans up your prose.

3. Improving - Keep a notepad and write down clever phrases and words as they come to you. I have a yellow notepad that I keep by my monitor that I use to jot down keypoints as I think of them. It's infuriating to capture the correct word mentally, then lose it when finishing a previous thought.

4. Format - If you are writing for journals or publications, they usually will have a writer's guideline that will tell what they are looking for and how they want the article formatted. It's usualy titled something like Writer's Guidelines or there may be a Call for Papers. For example, if I was writing for AIG, I would look at their Instructions to Authors Manual, to ensure that I am following their directions for slanting the truth for publication. :rolleyes:

Consider enrolling in some writer's courses at your local community college, also there are writer's workshops and support groups also available on many topics.

Good Luck!

10. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  11. shamaal

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    91 Mazda Navajo
    I'm not really here, I have a two week deadspot between job offers and am killing time. With the spam induced demise of DMI, my creative/argumentative talents are expended elsewhere. The Navajo sits in the driveway unused for over a year, supplanted by it's cousin from the Miata family.

The papers are available from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, they concern space logistics and systems engineering. The inhouse publications are written for NASA and a company I used to work for, I honestly don't know if they were assigned an ISBN or not. The copyrights are assigned to my employers.

12. rookieshooter

City, State:
    Martinsburg WV
    84 BII "Li'l Samson"
    Brooklyn, I say do it. You obviously like to write and help people.

Thanks gl and shamaal for your input. Talk about the big boys weighing in on this one WOW!
    Shamaal that's interesting about what you said about writing down your thoughts on a pad.
    There was many times while driving or doing something unrelated to actually writing down my thoughts that the best ideas came to mind. Then sure enough when I got home I forgot some of them.
    Found a digital recorder that I had not used in years...you guessed it, it now goes with me.
    I really need to brush up on my : ; " ( ) punctuation. Or else have someone else do it?

13. shamaal

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    91 Mazda Navajo
    One of my favorite movie passages is from Throw Momma From the Train. The Billy Crystal character has writer's block in attempting to describe a night. He cycles through the adjectives hot, steamy, sticky all to no avail.
    Near the end of the movie he describes his dilemna to the Anne Ramsey character who instantly responds with the term sultry. Crystal's ensuing rage causes him to wreak mayhem.

I can identify with the Crystal character. Accordingly I write the words down as I come across them. I doubt if I'll ever move into the 20th Century and use a recorder.