Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Does a 1995 Explorer ECU have to be programmed?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by FordPickup, November 22, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. FordPickup

FordPickup New Member

City, State:
      Boca Raton, FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1995 Explorer
      I'm replacing the ECU in my '95. At the last minute I saw a clause in the sales slip that said that the seller was not responsible for programming ECUs. I called the guy's attention to that, and he said that applies to newer ECUs, but my '95 won't have to be programmed. Is he correct?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      As the '95 is pre-PATS, I don't see why it would need to be programmed. No key codes to be programmed into it.

4. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
      @FordPickup
      Gen 3s have the VIN configured into the PCM or ECU. Not certain about Gen 2, but think it likely. A VIM mismatch between PCM and any of the other Modules, such as ABS, will result in ABS light constantly ON, cannot be turned off, no drivability problems from it, though. The DTC code "VIN Mismatch" will be found. imp

5. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      That may be true and I didn't think about things like wheel size and gear ratios.

• Like Like x 1