Does anybody have experience with a MAXIDIAG US703 scanner? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anybody have experience with a MAXIDIAG US703 scanner?

The Actron CP9449 is a dedicated ABS scanner: http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9449..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1281315074&sr=8-1
41cWke9ylwL._SS500_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any idea on protocol(s) I would have? I owna 2002 Limited Explorer, V8. Going to search the site. I was looking at the actron ABS scanner, but see that some people have issues with that too.

Any updates? I really need both ABS & Airbag DTC capability. So far it seems it's between Equus 3150 or 3160, Actron CP9449, and Autel MaxiDiag US703. I think the Autel claims airbag capability, but I find it hard to believe.

I need to rant. Can someone explain what the F is so difficult with coming out with an affordable scan-all-DTC reader????? I had to mess with a VW Passat for a while so I bought a VAG-COM and DAMN, that is the best scanner in the world!!! It will read you every code. I think I paid like $350 for it and it is exactly the same as the 4-digit comps that VW/Audi have in their dealership. However, VAG-COM only caters to VW & Audis. I've yet to find another company that offers such capability for any other vehicle. Why is this manufacturer DTC stuff such a mystery??? How complicated can it possibly be??? I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred for top name scanners (e.g. Snap-On), but not a single company can say they scan "ALL" codes, hands down, no small print, end of story.

It's all in the internal software of the scan tool. The manufacturers of these scanners program them with specific scanning capabilities, and charge more for the ones which are capable of scanning more things. The connections are the same as far as the OBD-II connector. If somebody would come out with an open source user programmable scanner, it would be capable of reading codes on any vehicle on the market regardless of the year or manufacturer just as long as there is somebody writing software for it.

I just ordered the Autel MaxiDiag US703 for $166 on Amazon. I have my check engine, ABS and airbag lights on. I'm sure I have transmission codes too if those exist since I did an auto to manual swap. (What do you mean you changed your mind and you'll take a cab instead???) The AutoZone scanner and my www.obd-2.com scanner just picks up the engine DTC P0135 (O2 sensor). I'll report back when I use the US703. I have the perfect test subject.

Full Initial Review

The first thing I noticed is that the US703 comes with 4 AA batteries, but they are optional if you want the scanner to have power when you remove it from the vehicle. It also comes with a CD of software and a USB cable to do complicated stuff with. The manual shows all these setup & menu features and has this curious message on p. 11:
"CAUTION: The login password is used to get access to software updates and technical supports from manufacturer or distributors websies. DO NOT read the password unless you decide to buy the scan tool."
I don't have any idea what this really means, but I was worried about sabotaging my ability to return the US703 if it didn't do what it said. I decided to keep it super simple and slowly play with the features to observe the changes. I started with no batteries, no computer interaction, and absolutely no menu option tweaking. The manual emphasizes the proper procedure is to turn the key completely off, plug in the OBD-II, turn the key to the on (or engine on) position, do your thing, then turn key completely off before removing OBD-II. Here are my results, no setup, straight out of the box:

obd-2.com scanner:
P0135

AutoZone scanner (I think it's an Actron):
P0135

Autel MaxiDiag US703:

Standard OBDII/EOBD Codes:

Stored Codes:
P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1

Pending Codes:
P0133 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1

Ford Specific Codes:

PCM:
P0133 - HO2S-11 circuit slow response
P0135 - HO2SHTR11 Heater circuit Malfunction
P1000 - On-board diagnostic (OBD) systems readiness test not complete

ABS:
C1233 - Left front wheel speed sensor input signal missing
C1234 - Right front wheel speed sensor input signal missing
C1230 - Wheel speed sensor rear center input circuit failure
C1102 - Acceleration switch circuit failure

RCM:
B1998 - Side air bag circuit open, front passenger side
B1869 - Lamp air bag warning indicator circuit failure
B1932 - Air bag circuit open-loop #1, front driver side

Conclusion: This $166 scanner can do more than $1000+ scanners.

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,339
  • Case.jpg
    Case.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,367
  • Ford Menu.jpg
    Ford Menu.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,382
  • Airbag Codes.jpg
    Airbag Codes.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,380

RCM:
B1998 - Side air bag circuit open, front passenger side
B1869 - Lamp air bag warning indicator circuit failure
B1932 - Air bag circuit open-loop #1, front driver side

My airbag light went on years ago and I was sick of looking at the light, so I removed the bulb, but when you remove the airbag light, the damn thing won't stop beeping constantly when you turn the ignition on, so I had to unplug the whole airbag system by the passenger door footwell. The US703 could not connect to read the codes, so I had to connect the footwell plugs to read these codes. I forgot to mention above that I could not connect to the transmission TCM. I don't have the auto transmission, but I did rip out all the electrical components (switches, sensors & solenoids) and left them connected to the wiring harness, so I'm guessing that our Ex's just don't have a TCM at all.

The above airbag codes seem accurate. I did remove the bulb, and I swapped my steering wheel airbag for a Mustang Cobra one (to go with my FR500 steering wheel!) and the connectors are different, so I haven't conjured up the balls to splice it up yet. So the B1998 code must be the original code that set my light off years ago. Open circuit on the passenger airbag is vague, but it does give me some insight.

I don't know what to make of my ABS codes yet, because it basically says everything is unplugged, which is not true. I've read around here that, for some unfathomable reason, the ABS is somehow connected to the airbag system. Maybe it has something to do with me completely disconnecting the airbag system at the footwell. Oh well, now I have a goal to start checking off fixing code by code instead of just staring at mysterious lights on my dash.

Do you see anything in the paper work about adding an EEC-IV cable?

I don't know what EEC-IV is. But, no. I read a lot of complaints that Autel advertised it was OBD-I "compatible", but doesn't come with an OBD-I adapter. It seems Autel has since deleted any mention of OBD-I from their product description. Here's the exact manual:
http://www.auteltech.com/pdf/Manual_JP701_EU702_US703_FR704_1.01.pdf

It uses a standard 15-pin (8 on top, 7 on bottom) serial wire on both sides. It then uses a detachable 2" adapter that converts it to the 16-pin (8 on top, 8 on bottom) OBD-II connector. There's the possibility you can find a serial to OBD-I or serial to EEC-IV adapter from a different company and see what happens.

Update:
I've installed the software this morning on Windows XP (I've heard complaints the software is not compatible with other Windows, if compatible with any OS at all). I got the warning from Windows below, but I continued installation anyway. It claimed to have installed the drivers too, but the software wouldn't pick up the scanner and Windows kept popping up their unknown hardware boxes. So I proceeded to install the drivers using the Windows wizard (usually a no-no). I told Windows to search the CD-ROM drive for the drivers, and suprisingly, it installed the drivers successfully and the scanner was picked up by the Autel software.

I then clicked update, but it seems all my versions stayed the same, so I think the whole process was just a waste of time. I don't know why I cared so much, since I already got everything I needed from the tool from the beginning.

Attachments

• 2009082074992721.jpg
    2009082074992721.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,409
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,365

can you help me?

Hi i have a Autel MaxiScan us but i have lost to obd2 adapter can some one tell me to pin-out of the scanner so i can make one from db15m to odb2
thanks in advance

I have got one the specified cable but they don't work if some one has a us703
or any Autel Maxidiag scanner and a multimeter tester they can check the pins and make a diagram

BonesDT
hi do you have a Autel Maxidiag scanner and a multimeter ?
if you can tell me the pin-out i can modify the cable and fix it
the problem is that i have lost the obd2 adapter on the end of the db15m cable

Pin-Out for the Autel US703

Looking at the male OBDII connector Pin 1 is in the upper right, with 16 in the lower left. Looking at the male DB15 Pin 1 is in the upper left, with pin 15 in the lower right.

Starting wiht the OBDII connector going to the DB15 the pin out is as follows:

1 to 1
2 to 2
3 to 3
4 to 4
5 to nothing
6 to 6
7 to 7
8 to 8
9 to 9
10 to 10
11 to 11