Does anyone actually love their 5th gen Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone actually love their 5th gen Explorer?

BoostedXPLR

Reaction score
City, State
LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer, Platinum
Man I just bought my explorer and beside a few problems the dealer is fixing this week I have really been enjoying it.

As I read through the forum I notice a lot of bashing and upset owners. Is it really that bad?

The only two things that make me nervous with reading through the forum is the water pump issue and carbon buildup/injectors issue.

I hope I don't grow to regret buying this car. I hope the majority of people are just using this platform to vent and complain while truly the issues are far and few spread across.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, majority love it. If it was such a problemsome vehicle, they wouldnt be still selling 250k a year 8 years into this generation.

People have issue, they search for the issue, find the forum, join it and then post about it. People who have no problems unless you are enthusiasts dont search for the forum and join to post "I love my explorer".

This is the same for most forums out there.

I do...I own 2 of them and possibly a 3rd after I sell my Jeep TJ Wranger. Look at my V8 build thread. I CANT wait to get it on the road.

I hope I don't grow to regret buying this car. I hope the majority of people are just using this platform to vent and complain while truly the issues are far and few spread across.

get used to it :p. Some have the need to post every single item wrong with their vehicle online, maybe have the "I spent too much mentality", maybe they don't trust their dealerships repair center, who knows :popcorn:. In general its an above average vehicle

I do...I own 2 of them and possibly a 3rd after I sell my Jeep TJ Wranger. Look at my V8 build thread. I CANT wait to get it on the road.
To be fair the Explorer’s you own and the ones he’s talking about share nothing but the name.

I have been very happy with my previous 2011 Limited and current 2017 Platinum. Looking forward to checking out the 2020 which is when my lease is up.
Forums like this are usually populated with posts about issues. It is a place where owners come to find help and info about the vehicles when something goes wrong. Those who are happy with theirs seldom post about that, unless asked.;)

Peter

I have a penchant for complaining, but not really doing much to change it. :D

I'm extremely let down by the quality, and wouldn't buy another one. But for while I have it, I plan to enjoy it--and lately, I have been immensely.

I'm not having any problems with my 18, but there definitely are things I miss about my old 99.

You are in luck. I read this part on another thread in the forum and can calculate an answer for you; Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

There have been 1.5 million Explorers made since 2011. Six of you on this thread responded to liking the Explorer. Therefore, 0.004% like their Explorers.
Now I will show my work:
6 people like the Explorer on this thread divided by 1,500,000 = 0.000004, move the decimal two places to the right to get percentage of 0.0004%!

Sounds about right.

You are in luck. I read this part on another thread in the forum and can calculate an answer for you; Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

There have been 1.5 million Explorers made since 2011. Six of you on this thread responded to liking the Explorer. Therefore, 0.004% like their Explorers.
Now I will show my work:
6 people like the Explorer on this thread divided by 1,500,000 = 0.000004, move the decimal two places to the right to get percentage of 0.0004%!
Faulty thinking, faulty math. Not sure where the 1,500,000 came from. It's not from the "free repairs" notice. You also can not just assume that all those with the exhaust issue do not "love their Explorer". Just because this thread exists and only 6 have responded in the affirmative doesn't mean that there aren't more members here you "love their Explorer". Not every member is here all the time or reads/responds to every thread.

Peter

Peter, I think he was just being humorous and entertaining us, no need for 3 post repeats. ;)

With over 2 years & 25k miles on it now I've come to look at my Explorer with mixed emotions. With all the time it's spent in the shop getting fixed and the current ongoing issues it has not measured up to a 'love' relationship. There is a lot to like with this vehicle but I've had other cars in the past that I loved, this one doesn't make the cut.

Sorry for the duplicates. I noticed this morning that when I click Post Reply, nothing seems to happen or is very slow to execute.

Peter

I really liked my '13, and I'm bordering on love with my '15. Do I love it the way I loved my '05 Grand Cherokee? No. But, to be fair, I'm pretty sure Chrysler imbeds crack in the A/C ducts, because that's the only way I can explain dumping thousands into repairs on it, and still loving it, while not being the only one to do so. I saw so many complaints about how much the WK was costing us in repairs, but most of them were followed by "but I still love it".

Yeah, I really do like this EXP. I purchased a 2004 XLT for my wife, which is now being driven by one of my sons. That car served us very well, lots of vacations, trips, etc.. Had the bad transmission problem and had to be replaced, but that was done under the extended warranty so its no biggie. So I'm kind of partial to EXP's to begin with....

But I really like this EXP Sport. :bounce:

I love my Explorers, but I have owned them for a long time, and learned all about the good and the minor bad things.

So I can't help you with the 5th gen's, but, I bet as time goes on, people will share any and all tips to fix or keep with the newer models. Knowing what to look for is huge in being able to take care of the car, and then to love it for all of the good things.

In this generation, if that's what we are calling it, I have had a 2014, and presently drive a 2016. The 2016 is vastly improved over the 2014. The 2014 wasn't a bad vehicle, but there were a number of improvements in the 2016. I imagine a 2018 is even better.

I had 4 of the previous generations of Explorers and they were all much more truck like, since they were actually trucks, but much more of an off road vehicle. This present generation won't even think about going where I've taken some of the older gen Explorers. Being a truck and actually having a low range transfer case, as well as much greater ground clearance, makes a huge difference.

We love our 2013 XLT. Does this make the percentage go up any?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife absolutely LOVES her 2016 Platinum. I also LOVE the vehicle. The thing is faster than my Cadillac STS with the Northstar V8. She is at approx 81K miles and outside of people putting door dings in it, it has had zero issues. Didn't even do the exhaust recall.

Back