Does F150 use same BOV as Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does F150 use same BOV as Explorer?

John925

Reaction score
City, State
San Ramon, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I found some turbosmart BOV's at CJ Pony parts but wondering if they will work for an Explorer or do we have different ones that the F150?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found some turbosmart BOV's at CJ Pony parts but wondering if they will work for an Explorer or do we have different ones that the F150?

John925, I think the explorer sport uses a different setup from what I have seen on the sport and saw on my previous F150 ecoboost. The best way to confirm is to run a part number comparison on an F150 and explorer for the same part or check with the aftermarket vendor on compatibility.

Thanks for the reply. Parts companies love making stuff for the F150 but the explorer seems to not get as much love.

Thanks for the reply. Parts companies love making stuff for the F150 but the explorer seems to not get as much love.

I did look at the explorer sport setup and the BOV is not on the intercooler as it is on the F150. There is a hose off one of the turbo lines at the intercooler running under the top engine cover but I have not removed it to see where it goes. I am guessing that the BOV on the explorer is different since I can see that the intercooler shape and setup is different from the F150.

The explorer sport ecoboost model is only 3 model years old now and aftermarket parts are just now starting to come out for it. The F150 has been out much longer so parts are more plentiful for it. Plus explorer sports with ecoboost are only about 20% of the total explorer production from the 2015 statistics I found. There is not much of a market for the explorer sport now until more vehicles are produced and sold. Plus warranty issues would delay aftermarket about 5 years until the factory powertrain warranties expire.

I did look at the explorer sport setup and the BOV is not on the intercooler as it is on the F150. There is a hose off one of the turbo lines at the intercooler running under the top engine cover but I have not removed it to see where it goes. I am guessing that the BOV on the explorer is different since I can see that the intercooler shape and setup is different from the F150.

The explorer sport ecoboost model is only 3 model years old now and aftermarket parts are just now starting to come out for it. The F150 has been out much longer so parts are more plentiful for it. Plus explorer sports with ecoboost are only about 20% of the total explorer production from the 2015 statistics I found. There is not much of a market for the explorer sport now until more vehicles are produced and sold. Plus warranty issues would delay aftermarket about 5 years until the factory powertrain warranties expire.

The Explorer's 3.5 EcoBoost setup should be identical to the 2010+ SHO, MKS, Flex & MKT. You might want to research aftermarket parts for those vehicles, especially the SHO.

Back