Does it matter how the fuel lines are connected on 3 line fuel filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does it matter how the fuel lines are connected on 3 line fuel filter

tedmc1

Reaction score
City, State
Escondido,California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Does it matter how the fuel lines are connected on 3 line fuel filter? My 02 uses the 3 line filter. FG1036,has 2 lines leading back to the fuel pump. Does it matter how the 2 are oriented?
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. There are two connectors (metal tubes) on one side of filter; one on the other side. On the side with two connectors, one tube is a slightly different diameter, IIRC, than the other. So put the fuel lines on the tubes on that side that they each fit on.

Oh ,OK...I'm going to do this job this week and will make sure to verify the tube diameters as being different!
Thx

Oh ,OK...I'm going to do this job this week and will make sure to verify the tube diameters as being different!
Thx
Yes. There are two connectors (metal tubes) on one side of filter; one on the other side. On the side with two connectors, one tube is a slightly different diameter, IIRC, than the other. So put the fuel lines on the tubes on that side that they each fit on.
Ok I tried to do the job... i bought a
3/8-Inch and 5/16-Inch
quick connect removal tool and can't get the single line quick connect to release.( and yes i took off the retaining clip) Do I need a certain size tool? like maybe larger one? Anyone know the exact size you need?
TIA

@Drewmcg

Can you explain why there are two connections on one end? I replaced my '04 and do not recall that at all. Thanks! imp

Not really, except that Ford changed the fuel system. There's a return line (of some sort) on the '02. Check RockAuto for the fuel filter, vs. later models, and you'll see the difference.

I think the setup on the newer ones must have a pressure regulator of some sort at the engine that allows the PCM to regulate fuel pressure w/o return line. But I'm not an engineer . . . .

Not really, except that Ford changed the fuel system. There's a return line (of some sort) on the '02. Check RockAuto for the fuel filter, vs. later models, and you'll see the difference.

I think the setup on the newer ones must have a pressure regulator of some sort at the engine that allows the PCM to regulate fuel pressure w/o return line. But I'm not an engineer . . . .
@Drewmcg

Think it comes back to me now: Ford wanted to eliminate the return line, and the first attempt was the deal described here, where fuel was returned to the tank from the location of the filter only. My '04 has no return line at all, and DOES have a new sensor, called the Fuel Pressure and Temperature Sensor, mounted on the fuel rail under the upper intake manifold. It works like this:

The FPTS sends the pressure signal as well as fuel temp. to the PCM. As engine operating conditions change, demanding more or less fuel in the engine, the SPEED of the fuel pump is varied continuously to maintain fuel rail pressure constant. imp

@Drewmcg

Think it comes back to me now: Ford wanted to eliminate the return line, and the first attempt was the deal described here, where fuel was returned to the tank from the location of the filter only. My '04 has no return line at all, and DOES have a new sensor, called the Fuel Pressure and Temperature Sensor, mounted on the fuel rail under the upper intake manifold. It works like this:

The FPTS sends the pressure signal as well as fuel temp. to the PCM. As engine operating conditions change, demanding more or less fuel in the engine, the SPEED of the fuel pump is varied continuously to maintain fuel rail pressure constant. imp
This sounds right.

Pretty sure that I need to change mine as well and I have the same filter. I just cant get the single side free. As the question stated in the begining. Does anyone know of any special way of seperating the filter from the line.

Pretty sure that I need to change mine as well and I have the same filter. I just cant get the single side free. As the question stated in the begining. Does anyone know of any special way of seperating the filter from the line.

in my experience, the key was spraying into the connection with PB Blaster, or some type of lubricant. Then put some light grease in the connection. And spin the tool around and back and forth, with varying pressure. If you were able to release one connection, this should work for the other(s).

Good luck.

Also, the next time you do this, it should be easier. Especially if you keep up with schedules.

Finally got it the old one out. It helps when your not trying to move both the fuel line tool and the the line at the same time. Came off real easy.

I
Finally got it the old one out. It helps when your not trying to move both the fuel line tool and the the line at the same time. Came off real easy.

I still don't have mine off...tried several times. I'm using the scissor type. What removal tool did you use???

I used the one with 2 ends on it not the multiple one. When you push the line over the the tool just pull the line back and it should pop off
Screenshot_20191126-155750_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Congrats! The 4th gens (single port on each side; different connector) are easier--thankfully!
I found the scissors-style metal tools impossible (too thick, and hurt my hands). I even ground down the leading edge with a bench grinder. The plastic ones are superior, IMHO.

Happy New Year.

Congrats! The 4th gens (single port on each side; different connector) are easier--thankfully!
I found the scissors-style metal tools impossible (too thick, and hurt my hands). I even ground down the leading edge with a bench grinder. The plastic ones are superior, IMHO.

Happy New Year.

Just as an aside comment I've noticed you've linked the Timing chain job by FORD TECH MAKULOCO ( Make You Loco!!). If you watch him do that job all the way through,It's on a Ranger. He needs to disconnect the same fuel line where it connects up at the engine he uses what appears to be the same exact design removal tool but it looks like it's made out of metal.

Back