Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

does this sound like a bad power steering pump

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by eddie95, August 31, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. eddie95

eddie95 Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
    I have a 1995 ford explorer and the power steering whines when turning/applying gas simultaneously. It also doesnt work when at idle unless i give it just enough gas to jump a few hundred rpm's and its still hard to turn. The belt is good and it is not slipping. I just got this vehicle and when i first checked the fluid it was waaay overfilled. Am i correct to assume that this is probably a bad pump? There are no leaks whatsoever. I found a re manufactured pump at autozone for 48 bucks. It has a lifetime warranty, so is it an acceptable replacement?.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jplinville

jplinville I make knives...and invest in bandages.

Here, there, a little bit of everywhere...
    City, State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Too many to list here...
    Did you remove the excess fluid? if not, use a turkey baster and remove it.

That replacement isn't bad at all. If you have the 5.0, look into upgrading to a Saginaw pump...you'll need to change the bracket, but it's a MUCH quieter pump. The stock pumps have a habit of making noise, no matter what you do...That doesn't mean that they are bad, but the Saginaw is quiet.

4. Lube

Lube Active Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    95 XLT
    Yes, it's a bad pump.

5. eddie95

eddie95 Member

2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
    I did remove the excess fluid. Thanks for confirming what i was suspecting! When filling it, do you guys use the mercon atf fluid or just off the shelf ps fluid.

6. Lube

Lube Active Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    95 XLT
    I'd use a full synthetic oil meeting Mercon spec. You should flush the rack while your at it.