Does your front lower valance have rivets or not? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does your front lower valance have rivets or not?

I want the whole damn thing off. I was watching some of the original Ford videos demoing terrain management and NONE of those tracks had them on at all. syonara!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want the whole damn thing off. I was watching some of the original Ford videos demoing terrain management and NONE of those tracks had them on at all. syonara!

Are the rivets the removeable type? (Push/pull the center pin and then the entire plastic assembly comes out of the hoel) If so, they may be a design feature- for off-roading. It is a stretch, but I seem to recall some other SUV, maybe a Jeep, having a removeable valance. Pull four rivets, unfasten and stow the valence, and you are good to go.

But- that is just a guess. Can anyone confirm that it is an intended design?

Mine has them. Build date of 5/24.

My lower valence was detached when the vehicle got to the dealer. I did not see it but when I arrived they said they were reattaching it. They put it back in place but I had to drive it over to their body shop to have new rivets installed.

Are the rivets the removeable type? (Push/pull the center pin and then the entire plastic assembly comes out of the hoel) If so, they may be a design feature- for off-roading. It is a stretch, but I seem to recall some other SUV, maybe a Jeep, having a removeable valance. Pull four rivets, unfasten and stow the valence, and you are good to go.

But- that is just a guess. Can anyone confirm that it is an intended design?
Yes, the lower valance is part of the vehicle's overall aerodynamic design. I believe it acts as a spoiler to direct the air downward under the vehicle to reduce drag. I saw it explained in a video a few months ago and I believe it actually is designed to flex under highway speeds. There is an article that states that the front air dam (valance), side view mirrors and rear spoiler will add almost 1 mpg on the highway.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/04...at-the-wind-helping-drivers-to-beat-the-pump/

I would like to have a remove-able option. My previous Grand Cherokee had the option. Duck underneath the front, turn four or five plastic knobs 90 degrees, and off she comes. Any ideas? Do I only have to remove the 4 rivets for it to come off?

I would like to have a remove-able option. My previous Grand Cherokee had the option. Duck underneath the front, turn four or five plastic knobs 90 degrees, and off she comes. Any ideas? Do I only have to remove the 4 rivets for it to come off?
Although I can't say for sure, I would think that it is also held on with other fasteners. The rivets were only added to later production Explorers after there were problems with the air dam coming loose.

I haven't looked at the rest of the connections- busy replacing bushings on my old car- but the rivets are one-time-use items.

Brand new Explorer on the dealer lot has them too.

Hi,

I just had the same problem with my 2011 explorer. Does anyone know where I can find the rivets needed and what the part number is?

thanks

anyone get rivet number? I need to replace a few as well

Back