Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Doesn't anyone car what performance anymore?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by ahhjaws, September 20, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ahhjaws

ahhjaws Moab Edition Explorer

City, State:
      Ft. Collins, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1992 Explorer XLT
      Doesn't anyone care about performance anymore?

I just got back from helping a friend look at new/used cars from a couple dealerships. Well, he found some good used ones, and I started to inspect them as good as I could, trying to find good/bad qualities. Well the dealer came while I had the hood open looking at the engine and he actually made fun of me, asking "are you making sure the engine is in front?" No, I'm making sure that there isn't any obvious problems. "Well, if the engine runs, it runs." WTF!!

So I start asking him, performance questions, like acceleration, 1/4 mile time, etc... And he didn't know at all. He kept just saying, "Doesn't it look good though?", "No one really cares about that".

Whatever, so my friend points out this other car. I just love these. Front wheel drive with a big rear spoiler. So I ask the dealer, how much acceleration and speed lose would I get with this stupid spoiler on the back? "UUMM, what do you mean?" Well, if the wind pushes the spoiler/rear end down, it gives less traction to the front. "Well, but it looks so much better with it on, doesn't it."

Well, we left after that. Oh well. Just venting.

Do people really care about just looks, now-a-days?

I can spell, really:confused:

Last edited: September 20, 2002
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Its a fact that most car salesmen are dumb@sses. For specs, look them up online. Car and Driver usually has reliable specs and reviews. MSN carpoint also. Maybe the salesmen don't know the stuff cause they have too many models to know about? Dunno, but most consumers DO care at least somewhat about performance.

Oh, and about the spoiler: most drivers who put them on don't know what the hell it's for or it does, then just like the look.

4. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      Edmunds...that place has all hte good crap

5. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      When I was looking for an Explorer, way back in the day, I told the salesman I was looking for a V8. After popping his head up and standing tippy-toes, he look around the lot like you could tell a V8 from the roof of the X. We wander around a while (I think he was looking for someone else who could help him, while I was looking for emblems) and he then says, "What motor did you say you wanted? A 5.4L?" I was thinking, "hell yeah, if you got one!"

They're not knowlegable about the autos, just how to sell them.

6. mrboyle

mrboyle I Drive By Brail Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Montrose, CO
      '95 Bronco '80 Toy
      Too true! At one point it was so bad that Chevy had to make it easier for the truck salesmen to tell what engine the truck had, by looking at the tail pipe! If it had a single 2 1/4" it was a V-6, a dual 2 1/4" was a 350, a single 3" was a 454, and a single 3 1/2" was a 6.2L rattle can. I bet they started to hate it when people would trade in one with a modified exhaust! :D

7. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Screw Performance!

It's all about the looks baby! I wanna ride down the street and have everyone stare at me! I wanna park at Taco Bell and have the coolest looking ride there! It is all about impressions! If people you don't know and you will never meet in your life think you got a cool ride, you are King of the road!

Robb

:rolleyes:

8. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      I dont think many people care about performance in the literal sense any more. I get pissed off everytime i see a lifted 4x4 and you can tell it never goes off road. I think its the culture we live in. It seems now that everything is based on appearances. Everything has be come so commercialized, no one does anything really different on a large scale any more buisiness wise because theyre afraid of losing money or market share. I cant listen to most radio stations any more because all they ever play is the same mainstream crap. on and btw robb your my hero. :p

9. Brandon4AU

Brandon4AU Wannabe "Elite Explorer"<br>sXc Member

City, State:
      Montgomery/Auburn, Alabama
      '96 XLT
      You will start seeing more and more lifted trucks that never see dirt soon. Truckin and other sport truck magazines are featuring a lot of lifted sport trucks. 2WD 4WD it doesnt matter. I dont mind because I want to life my 2WD. I will have a little fun with it here and there after I get a winch. If I had a supercharger I might be brave and try following splat around. But for the most part it will be on the street. I wish I had a 4wd.

10. Doug

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      a buddy of mine used to try and wheel his 4cyl 2wd ranger he ran mud holes and climbed hills and crap with it. I think people are getting lazier they dont want to do things for themselves anymore they dont want to think for themselves it seems some times. Where i work (radioshack) i get people actually screaming at me because i wouldnt return a $10 battery because they didnt want to go home and get the old one even though they where told they should bring it in. I get people picking my brain on how to do this or that its like they cant go read a book or look it up on the net. I wonder what the percentage of people who worked on thier own cars say back in the 70s vs today.

11. ahhjaws

ahhjaws Moab Edition Explorer

City, State:
      Ft. Collins, CO
      1992 Explorer XLT
      That's why I always keep a lot of dirt and mud on my car all the time. The only time I wash it is right before I get it dirty again.:D

12. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Namitey, your sig has a url that isn't working and it's screwing the page formatting all up :rolleyes:

13. Doug

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      Its not my fault your dumb ;) ill see if i can fix it.