• Register Today It's free!

Dome light LED conversion

mikesmithis007

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
My 93 XLT has the dome light in the cargo area, and then 3 up front. (2 switch, 1 door-activated). I wanted to convert these to LED as cheap as possible. I'm not good with circuitry and what resistors are needed, if any.

Any suggestions as to LED elements or what parts I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I had the base model dome light up front (just a bulb, no map lights) I switched to a LED panel that I bought at Autozone. Believe it was a 6x8 LED array. It threw off a strong white light but I ended up switching back to a bulb, and eventually installing a map light setup like you have. I didn't like how sterile looking the light it produced was, and it didn't cast at a distance well. The problem is most LEDs by design do not scatter light well without complex lenses, whereas incandescent bulbs throw light evenly in all directions. If you are trying to get more light out of your stock fixture, you can install different bulbs. I have installed larger bulbs in my dome light for more light, but you have to consider that some bulbs can generate too much heat if left on for a long time and even melt the plastic. There are a lot of options, best to try a few and make sure they don't get too hot.

Retrofit LEDs are available at many auto parts stores and usually are set up for 12v. You may be able to find direct replacement LEDs that fit into the stock bulb connections, as I know they're offered for taillights and indicators. No resistors needed.

If you do get an aftermarket LED not made for a 12v application, resistors are easy. Just use Ohm's Law to find the required resistance; most LEDs will have specifications that give you the required values to do the math and you can buy the resistors at Radio Shack. Resistors are easy.

I didn't like how sterile looking the light it produced was, and it didn't cast at a distance well.

That's the problem with most (non-household type) LED lamps and fixtures. It has to do with the correlated color temperature (CCT) of the LEDs used.
LEDs around 6000°K seem to be all the rage with manufacturers, yet they have huge spectral discontinuities that our eyes simply don't respond well with (which is why they have that cold sterile color).

I converted the dome lights in my BII to LEDs, except I used 4000°K lighting-class LEDs. These are about the color of a 'cool-white' fluorescent lamp, with less of the cold bluish hue (if I was to do it over again, I'd probably go even a little lower to around 3500°K on the LEDs, still a slight hair whiter than halogen incandescent would be).
If you have the dome with the 2 switched map lights, something from Cree's XP-E or XP-G line of LEDs should work well in it, and shouldn't need any special optics beyond the stock dome light lens to distribute the light well.

Simple resistors are exceptionally inefficient for powering lighting-class LEDs though, you would want a current driver or regulator of some sort to power them effectively. Though I built mine from scratch, there are kits and ready-made drivers you can buy. You just need to match up the driver's specs with the size and quantity of LEDs you plan to use (1A to run a Cree XP-E, for example).
Also be sure the LEDs have adequate heat sinking (I used a piece of 16 ga. copper sheet that fills up the inside of the back of the light housing for mine).

All of that said, if you're not good with circuitry (and hate the cold clammy color of commercial LED offerings), then larger incandescent bulbs are certainly another option.
If you look in the low-voltage landscape lighting section of your local Home Depot or other home center, you'll find a number of wedge-base bulbs that will fit the stock dome fixture. I think I put something like 16-watt ones in my Ranger's dome many years ago and so far I haven't had any issues.

Superbrightleds.com
Just buy the correct LED wedge bulbs & replace the regular bulbs. For the rear it's held in with 2 springs, The correct bulb was not available last I checked. I bought a bulb they said would work but there was no way to keep the bulb in the socket.
I also added the bulbs to the door lights

I used ddmtuning.com. I converted my 03 mustang at the same time i love them super bright!

Back