Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L

I believe only the '02 sets had the metal tensioners, so get one for that year.

On this post, I think the best way to sum it up, especially when looking at an 02-05 Explorer, get one with the V8 when possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...plastic guides made so cheaply that they tended to grenade and destroy the engine
Anyone know where we can get a better set of guides? I'd like to find/buy them now so that when the time comes I've already acquired improved guides and metal tensioners.

improved guides

From what I've been able to determine there have been no improvements to the SOHC V6 cassettes since those implemented in 2002. The only change since then was to replace the pressed in pivot pin with a removable pin allowing disassembly of the front guide.
7U3Z-6A257-A.jpg

The traction side of the rear guide has never been reinforced with metal.
4L2Z-6M290-AA.jpg

This allows it to break apart from fatigue.
DSCN8608.jpg

The plastic that contacts the chain are held in place with plastic clips instead of being bonded to the metal.
LFBoth.jpg

LRBoth.png

I suspect that soon purchasing OEM cassettes will not be possible except for old stock. There have been times during the past year that the Tasca parts website listed the cassettes as unavailable. The engine is no longer being installed in new vehicles so support will decrease. There are numerous aftermarket cassettes available at much cheaper than OEM prices. However, some of them are simply junk. The plastic is warped, the plastic clips do not hold, and the hydraulic tensioners can seize immediately upon engine start after installation. I have purchased two sets of cassettes as spares for my Sport. One is an OEM set and the other is from Cloyes. The plastic clips on the Cloyes cassettes are inferior to the OEM ones but a decent compromise in quality vs cost (shown in above photos). Some members have reported good results from other after market sources. See SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Sources

From what I've read catastrophic timing chain failure rarely happens on the 4.6L. The plastic in the cassette guides wear but the metal reinforced guides don't break. When the chains begin to contact metal surfaces metal particles end up in the oil. The particles go thru the oil pump but should get trapped by the filter to avoid bearing damage. Eventually, the chains will fail from wear. Fortunately, replacing the cassettes only requires removing the front cover instead of removing the engine. Here's a photo of an Aviator DOHC V8 I purchased to install in my next project vehicle (2002 Explorer) if I can ever find one at a reasonable price that is RWD with the SOHC V8.
View attachment 85726

If your engine chains are making noise I suggest you repair what's needed without waiting a long time. If your hydraulic tensioners need to be replaced try to find the metal ones. Ford "cheaped out" at some point and started using composite tensioners which are prone to failure. That could be your only problem. I suspect all of the DOHC V8s have the metal tensioners (mine does) but your SOHC V8 may have the composite ones.

That's great info...thanks.

I am thinking about buying either an 05 EB or an 06 Limited and both have just over 100000 miles on their 4.0L's. Do these engine problems with the 4.0L exist in these years as well? I was driving my 02 EB 4.6L until a few weeks ago when the original transmission went after 221,000 miles. That 4.6L had its share of problems as well.

Barry

Maybe it's just me but i personally would never buy a 4.0 over 100k without lots of maintenance documentation. And only if it were cheap.

I am thinking about buying either an 05 EB or an 06 Limited and both have just over 100000 miles on their 4.0L's. Do these engine problems with the 4.0L exist in these years as well? I was driving my 02 EB 4.6L until a few weeks ago when the original transmission went after 221,000 miles. That 4.6L had its share of problems as well.

Barry

The 4.6 has the same timing failures as the 4.0. The difference between the 4.6 and 4.0, is that you can repair the 4.6 with the engine in the car.

I believe only the '02 sets had the metal tensioners, so get one for that year.

On this post, I think the best way to sum it up, especially when looking at an 02-05 Explorer, get one with the V8 when possible.

My 2003 was built 09/2002 do you think I have the metal ones?

The reason I am thinking about the 4.0L is gas mileage as my commute is 40 miles one way--the red one has rear AC which can be a problem in itself but otherwise the car looks good and its a half hour from me--the grey 2006 will need running boards which the dealer would replace for $475 additional--the problem with it is that its in Vermont--probably 2 hours from me.

http://www.tyngsboromotors.com/vehicle.asp?d=2630000&s=5602#

http://www.durandtoyota.com/used/Ford/2006-Ford-Explorer-51c42c8e0a0e0a172ce02291aeab131f.htm

They still have the problems, I did my 07 at 190k kms. The 4.0 also gets almost the same mileage as the 4.6, and is anemic and too small for the weight of the vehicle.

side steps

How fast do the bodies rust out in Vermont? The side steps may have been removed because of rust. I wouldn't pay anything for side steps. In my opinion they just get in the way when entering/exiting the vehicle. I wouldn't buy a vehicle in the northeast without checking the underside for rust. Get them to send you a photo before driving a long distance.

I wouldn't buy the 4.0 just for mpg's. We get 18-21 mpg's in our 2004 4.6 with the cruise set at 70-72

Exactly the 4.0 gets practically same mileage as a 4.6. Check chassis for rust if in northeast. Frame rust is acceptable if not rotted through but check lines etc. I still find it so Unfathomable that used explorers get as much as they do with high miles.

So if I do go with the 4.6L what maintenance issues should I look at? I know that the spark plugs can be a problem on this motor so if the mileage is around 100000 then I could make sure that they change them but what else should I look for?

Regular oil changes is a must. The valriable timing can be a real pain if not. Buddy bought a used F150 cheap off a farmer. Ran into major problems with the variable timing. Should have seen the inside of the valve cover. It had been slimed. Not a good scene. Its one thing to plug up oil journals, but when the timing is dependent on those journals, as well as the cam phaser it can be a real can of worms. Wouldn't be a problem with regular oil changes and proper maintenance. Also, the crappy manifold design likes to crack, and the studs on the like to break off at the head too.

Every engine has its problems but I've had fantastic luck with the 4.0. I owned an 03, still own an 08, my brother has a 2002 with 200k,and I've seen and heard of many lasting 200-300k without trouble.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed. Our 2004 Explorer that we bought new is nearing 300k in my in laws hands, and never had any issues with timing. Original trans also. Maintaining something makes a big difference. Look for oil change proof, make sure it doesn't cold rattle and look at overall condition. It is likely if someone lets a vehicle get ratty, that is how they cared for it... The 2002 engine in my 2004 Mounty came from a well cared for vehicle and was very clean under the valve covers. It has over 150k and runs great. They do have problems, but IMHO, if you are not mechanicaly inclined, you should not be looking for a third gen at all. They have a multitude of issues with differentials, transmission, engines...but I still like them and when they work right, they are great!

Back