dont drink and drive | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dont drink and drive

dont drink and drive!

i put all pics on my cardomain site since nothing else would host them so go here for the pics pics of accident

heres the story...
On halloween this year i was driving to an offroad rec park with a few of my friends and 7 in the morning. We were going around a bend on a two land hiway when out of nowhere a drunk driving a silverado came sliding into my lane going about 80 mph and hit me head on. I was going about 30 - 30 at the poing of impact so when we hit it was an impact of well over 100 mph. My girlfriend and i had a few broken bones and some severe lacerations on us but its been almost two months since the accident and we are both doing fine and will make complete recoveries. As for the people in the silverado, the driver died on impact, the guy passenger had a compound break in his femur with multiple severe lacerations all over him and several other broken bones, the other girl passenger slipped into a coma and died a week later due to swelling of the brain. Not quite sure how my girlfriend and I are still here but we are and were doing ok. I just bought another explorer a few weeks ago since my last one did so well in the accident and im gonna be doing a lot of work to it in the next few weeks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hydroxy said:
Did the passenger compartment of your ex collapse at all? Not the roof area, but like did the firewall buckle and push the dash into you?

My passenger compartment did collapse a little bit, the firewall got pushed in 5- 6" at most unlike the silverado whose completely collapsed. I thought the same thing about how I was lucky that mine was lifted and that made a great excuse for me to build an even better ex.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Man I got the chills after seeing those pics.

Nitrous SSC said:
Man I got the chills after seeing those pics.

Yeah, I'll second that one.. brr! I'm very very VERY glad you and your girl made it out ok- Explorers get a bad rep from the press, but by God they'll give their everything to keep you safe in an accident, don't they? :) I hate drinking and driving and I try my best not to do it, but every now and then I go overboard and have to ask a friend to come drive Jack and myself home. Beer is great, but it's not worth someone's life.

Very cool that you got another X to replace the one that was lost! :thumbsup:

that is some crazy ass **** thank god you are ok and same thing with your gf.

welp time to dig up this thread again, just yesterday i talked to my family's lawyer and decided to take a check from my insurance for $100,000 (our maximum uninsured drivers policy) 25% of that goes to the lawyer and 33% for my medical bills that will include my surgery for my ankle on aug. 5 since it is still a mess. the rest of the money is mine and i have decided with my parents to put most of it away(gonna spend some on the X) untill i graduate college because i will need it more then than now. i am happy now that it is all finally settled because it was one long drawn out battle for the past couple of months with our insurance to get it settled

damn man, although im surprised by the low amount.

Glad to here that all came out good, and you did get a little $$ for all this crud you had to go into because someone was an a-hole.

But last wreck I got into totaled my car, sent me to the hospital. She walked away from hers, denyed a trip to the hospital. Next thing I know, being sued for 60k.

She was going to win the case, but well didnt provide any medical bills except for a in house ciro. (keep in mind this is what my insrence told me she did at court) And that bill was one treatment for 30k :eek: Well needless to say she didnt get the 60 (she would have if she just went to the ER once) but instead got all bill paid + 1000 bucks, half goes to lawyer so shes left with 500. Sweet justice in the end, seeing how everyone said she blew through a light, and speeding.

Oh well, ive come to hate insurence companies. Glad you got something, but im surprised it wasnt more. I know a company friend got 300k sueing someone for running a red light (to be fair he was in a coma for 2 months). But I guess if thats the max, theres nothing more you can do.

100,000 was the absolute most i could get because that was my policy coverage for an uninsured driver, i could have gotten more if the guy had insurance, or a house, or another car but he didnt. i could have sued the family if i really wanted money but thats a really ****ty thing to do to the guys family since it wanst their fault..

im just glad that i got any cash at all because i really didnt expect anything since the guy didnt own anything...

Ive got a buddy that drove a jeep cherokee (i know...i know) that was lifted 6" and he had a full cage put inside it upon his mothers request (she didnt want him to "roll down a mountain and die") well he got hit head on by a drunk piece of **** driving a dodge 2500. He too was going about 85. My friend was going about 30 to 40 (hes not quite sure). They didnt hit head on, the jeep was hit at an angle on the driver side fender/ side swiped and it rolled once and then hit a tree. Well to make the story short, when i arrived, pretty much only thing left of his jeep (now it really was a heep) was his cage with his two seats attached to it. Both him and his girlfriend were ok except a few broken ribs and some bruises on the gf. Needless to say, his mother went over to the shop that built his cage and threw them $2000 out of the insurance money thanking them for saving her boys life... Makes one feel right nice that a piece of offroad equipment like that can actually do alot more than stop you from "rolling down a mountain and dieing" (P.S. The driver of the truck lived and was fine. He was punished with community service and he lost his license for 5 years, and he had to pay a WHOLLLLLE lot of money to my friend/his girlfriend for damages done)

thank God u and ur chick are ok!!!!!!!!!
im just happy i drive an ex

it amazes me that they can get community service, they should be put away, community service wont teach a lesson. as for the cage, that is the first thing i plan to put in the truck with some of the money. i decided that last week when one of my friends got in an accident and rolled his tacoma 6 times temporarily paralizing him and he is still in the hospital with no feeling on the right side of his body. you really cant go wrong with a cage and i especially need one if i roll my truck in the desert at high speed.

That's usually how it works. You have to commit a worthless, non-violent crime to be guaranteed a spot in lockup.

On very very few occasions (like after reading this story) I'm glad I live in an area where I can't get over 30mph due to sh*tty traffic...

well thats how it usually is here in southern california too, would have been ****ty traffic if it wasnt 7 in the morning

Wow, I was thinking it was gonna be you who was drinking and driving. Even though this is old...sorry to hear about the wreck. Glad to hear you and your GF are alright and recover(ed/ing). Also happy to hear that you got everything worked out for the most part. :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm just glad to hear you two have recovered ok. And good luck on your upcoming surgery as well...

i feel like im out of the loop.. but is there anyway you could show me the pics??? maybe email me them? id REALLY appreciate seeing them. my email is memfisa@hotmail.com . if your too occupied don't worry about it, just a small request!
anyhow im impressed to hear that your truck stood up to that. god bless you guys. although the other driver was completely in the wrong, i hope that you found enough pride in yourself to forgive him for making such an idiotic decision. he paid the ultimate price for his poor choice. Im surprised it played out that way, you are VERY lucky. i don't know you at all but am glad to hear both of you have recovered!

oh yeah, those pics.. ;)

The link to the pics is in the very first post.

DAMN DUDE thank god the explorer is a body on chassis design not those crappy unibodys

wow thats amazing glad to hear u and ur gf are ok you should count your blessings thats for sure

Back