door ajar/ interior lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

door ajar/ interior lights

Reaction score
City, State
Regina Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
hey folks! i just got a 1992 Explorer XLT and the only issue is the passenger door ajar sensor or button is broken and always thinks that door is open. this is a problem because when the door is open the interior lights are always on. i took both sides apart just to check it out and the driver side has 3 wires a green/black/red and the passenger has only the green/ black i dont know if the red wire fell into the body or if there wasnt one in general. long story short how do i disable that passenger side. i would just take the fuse out but that operates the radio and all interior lights so any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The passenger side only has two wires. The drivers side has a third to signal the warning chimes for key left in igntion, lights on, that stuff.

So.. just cut and insulate the two wires. I show them as light green with yellow stripe, and black with light blue stripe.

sorry i dont follow. just cut and twist em together? or just cut and tape them off?

Run to a local salvage yard and pick up a replacement, should only be a few bucks (if they even charge you for it)

It'd be annoying to not have the lights come on at night when you open the passenger door.

yea id really just like to disable it completely

Take the wires off the switch and insulate them separately. Try not to cut anything, you might want to restore it someday.

hey folks! i just got a 1992 Explorer XLT and the only issue is the passenger door ajar sensor or button is broken and always thinks that door is open. this is a problem because when the door is open the interior lights are always on.

The advice given is sound to disable the passenger door light switch. I am curious, though, how you came to this conclusion? If you disconnected the switch to prove it, then you have really answered your own question. If you have NOT disconnected it to prove it, then you should know there is also a sensor in back hatch that will cause this same problem.

Ok. Whereabouts is the rear hatch sensor.

Not sure, I've been wondering about that myself. My hatch has alignment issues and if I am not careful, it leaves the lights on even if it looks closed. I'm thinking it's inside the door with the latch mechanism. I may actually find more about that today, I'll let you know if I do.

Back