Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Door ajar light!?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by eckbatz, June 14, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. eckbatz

eckbatz New Member

City, State:
      east stroudsburg,pa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 explorer XLT
      Hey im new to the site so first let me introduce myself. my name is batz and im with an auto club called east coast kruzers basted out of ny and pa.

i have a 1996 for explorer xlt 4 door 4.0 motor..

my prob is before i got it i was told it was hit while parked on the pas. side rear. the old owner of the truck did some bondo on the rear QT and replaced the rear pas door. the "door ajar" light is on in the truck he said he thinks its cause the door he installed there for he disconnected all the dorm lights. where can i find the pin or whatever tells the truck that the door is closed so i can check. or maybe some better tips on solving this prob. thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. firepop5

firepop5 Active Member

City, State:
      floral park ny
      96 EB
    4. eckbatz

eckbatz New Member

City, State:
      east stroudsburg,pa
      96 explorer XLT
      if i crossed those wires... just as a temp fix would that light go off? and by any chance u dont know what color they are right? cus i have a feeling this moron never connected them

5. firepop5

firepop5 Active Member

City, State:
      floral park ny
      96 EB
      I don't think "crossing" the 2 wires will work. Here is what the latch looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

One wire (green/yellow stripe) is to turn the dome lights on. The other wire (pink/light blue stripe) is to turn on the door ajar indicator on the dash.

Are both of those lights on all the time? I believe the lights should turn on when those two wires are grounded by opening the door. After removing the door panel, look for those two wires and see if they are connected properly or are they shorting out somewhere.

6. eckbatz

eckbatz New Member

City, State:
      east stroudsburg,pa
      96 explorer XLT
      i have not inspected inside the panel good yet i do know the door ajar light in the dash is always on and the dome lights are unplugged or the bulbs taken out other wish they wont shut off