Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Door ajar stays on Dash

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by xltexplorer02, July 31, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. xltexplorer02

xltexplorer02 New Member

City, State:
    skye.victoria
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 XLT Explorer
    Hi there i have a 2002 Explorer and and has door ajar showing up on the screen plus interior lights stay on when car is locked when they should go off when u lock the Vehicle as well when u lock it the tail lights/Parkers should flash and all lights go out but it does,nt do it only once every now and then . Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be:(

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Denver,NC
    '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
    Spray a cleaner of your choice (brake clean or any type of degreaser) directly into your door latches, when dry spray them with lubricant (WD40, PB Blaster, etc) and slam the door a few times. That should do it.

4. macknos94

macknos94 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Harrisburg, pa
    2003 mountaineer premier
    Once I used graphite chain lube on all my door latched I never had an issue again

5. xltexplorer02

xltexplorer02 New Member

City, State:
    skye.victoria
    2002 XLT Explorer
    Thanks Bud will give it a try

6. xltexplorer02

xltexplorer02 New Member

City, State:
    skye.victoria
    2002 XLT Explorer
    Thanks Bud will give that a try and will let you know how i went

7. Matie

Matie Member

City, State:
    Abu-Dhabi UAE
    Explorer 2003 & XLT 96
    I have Explorer XLT 96, 3 years ago, its appear on dash, when i tried to fix by showing electricians, each one has their own opinions & check & changes door switches, Deales recommends to change wiring harness, I live 2 years with that indication on, as safety of battery I removed compartment light bulb so batter don’t drain.
    One fine day after loading the stuff in my trunk, when I sat on seat, I noticed, there is no indication of Door Ajar; As a test I open again & closed gently , result Door Ajar,
    Found Right hand side door latched is lose & needs big push to acknowledge that door is closed.
    Its still working but I have to close my door bit hard push, I have agree with xltexploere02’s suggestion, using WD40 to all of your door & checked one by one!
    Hope it will work, until switch is fully !!
    Regards

8. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    A lot of electrical issues can be related to broken/damaged wires in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I, along with several members, have resolved electrical issues by repairing the wire(s). It could also be an issue with the "door ajar" switch.

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel and replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link http://www.scribd.com/doc/14896086/2...stem-Diagnosis

Hope this helps out.

9. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Denver,NC
    '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
    Here's your door latch showing the switch that sets off the adjar message and the dome lamp. You can see why you have to really soak it to clean and lubricate it from the outside. This is a rear latch but the fronts are very similar.

[​IMG]

10. jsgusps

jsgusps New Member

City, State:
    tx
    2002 xlt
    here's one issue i haven't seen addressed yet:

when my Explorer is running, the driver's side door LOCK/UNLOCK switch won't work.
    Neither does the Remote Power Mirror switch. All driver's side windows switches DO WORK, however.

when i park and turn off the engine, the LOCK/UNLOCK and Remote Mirror switches suddenly WILL work......UNTIL......i open the driver's door and then both WON'T work again.....

jeez laweez..

I'm also having the DOOR AJAR light problem......
    lubed all the latches and still no resolution...
    only once did i have the bell chiming off and on while driving...

i've tried all the suggestions regarding opening and closing doors/ keys in ignition and opening doors, etc.

i suspect it's the driver's door, but can't be sure....

11. ckmieciak

ckmieciak Member

City, State:
    Bayshore, Newyork
    2003 XLT
    I have a 2002 xlt explorer and i had the same problem with the lights staying on..

Although I found the idea the 3 day I had the truck and brought it right back to the dealership.

They could not find it the first time around, but I brought it back to them and they fixed it..

The problem was a crimpled wire in the wire harness of the door locks.. they just replaced the wire and fixed..

The exact problem that i had was that the interior lights would stay on once the car was shut off and locked the doors.. the truck would make 2 beeps which means a door is still open. To tempory solve the problem i had to turn off the interior lights manually. with the dome stick just roll all the way down until they fixed the problem

12. Jacque

Jacque New Member

City, State:
    Casper, WY
    2004 Ford Explorer Xlt V8
    Dome light and door ajar and learn beeps

I have the same issue on my 2004 Ford Explorer 4.6l. I have to keep the dome light dial turned off..
    Is there any other fix for this?
    I hate not having driving lights on my dash when I'm driving at night

13. JoshMcMadMac

JoshMcMadMac Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Waynesboro, PA
    2002 Mercury Mountaineer
    It is most likely a broken wire in the driver door loom. You can probably find a few threads on it here.