• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar

eaglesrealm

Reaction score
City, State
Linden, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Figured I may as well move this thread here, now that the other forum is closed. I love that the admin have seperated these into three distinct forums now for the various explorer years. :)

I had some guidance from here to listen for the tone/beeping while opening each door when I have a "Door Ajar" light that will not go off. The tone does come on in this 2002, but only if all doors are closed and you open one door. Any door after the first one is open, and no sound. Therefore, there is no tone at all once it thinks there is a door open falsely and has the Door Ajar light on.

It seems to be worse in cold weather, but I will continue to monitor.

Any other words of wisdom other than spraying all the locking mechanisms with WD-40? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea... open up the door panel and cut the damn wire! I tried removing it and lube it with all sort of sprayers, no luck. Once the wire is cut, the only two functions I do not get from the driverside door are the ding (door ajar) and the dome light. If you want light just reach over head and turn on the switch.

Another would be install the ole door push in type that older vehicles use. Although, it is going to require drilling and wire relocating. Personally, I like the above.

I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer...a while ago I had the 'door ajar' problem as you described, but since I have fixed the problem...I think...because I haven't seen another 'door ajar' message again. After investigating the door mechanism, I've noticed bolts were sligthly loosen on both driver and passenger doors. These bolts could be seen clearly when the door is widely open. By tighten these bolts, the error disappeared. I don't know if one of these bolts is hooked onto the sensor...well...what do I know...

I also have an 02 exploder with the door ajar problem. the dash light has been for some time now. Ive tried drenching the latches in WD40 and slamming ALL doors including the rear hatch glass. Ive also tried resetting the battery power. No results. I wouldnt care if it wasnt for the delayed acc power to my radio that seems to be leaving my battery dead. (it doesnt always time out after 2 minutes either). The weird thing is there is no door ajar alarm/tone sounding, and no dome lights on even though it indictates an ajar door. When you refer to the latches. do you mean the latch by the handle and child safety switches? or the latch that is more of a bar that goes into the door when its closed, down by the fender side of the door? Im so lost at this point and pretty desperate. I still dont even know what door is the culprit/.....

Thanks for the links. I tried the door handle WD40 thing, I took apart the drivers door and the rear hatch, saw no severed or disconnected wires or harnesses, i dont know what else to do. Specifically however my problem doesnt seem to match anything else ive read on here. My dome lights DONT come on (instead of being stuck on), my power locks and mirror control work fine, the dash does indicate a "door ajar" though and subsequently my radio and delayed accessory electronics do not shut off after the engine is turned off, which is my only gripe bc it makes my battery drain if I dont manually turn them off. Is there a way to trick the truck into thinking the problem door is "closed", and also how can i further locate the problem door? Is this a possible GEM problem even though its not symptomatic of one?

...i have heard of something similar and it was in the column...a short of a couple wires by the ignition switch....it usually leads into digging thru those wires to find the short...

cop

You might wanna check the delayed accessories relay and battery saver relay. Just a guess here, but maybe one of them is bad and causing some of your grief.

...rrgone, good point...i completly skipped that thought...:D

thanks rgone and tbars, both responses make sense. And I just went out to try the relays but it sounded easier than it was. How the hell do you get that fusebox out of the way to access the top side where the relays are located??

thanks rgone and tbars, both responses make sense. And I just went out to try the relays but it sounded easier than it was. How the hell do you get that fusebox out of the way to access the top side where the relays are located??

I just looked at mine. It looks like there are a couple of plastic clips on the side closest to the steering column and a bolt on the other end. I've never had it out though.... Good luck!

Back