• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar

fordysenior

Reaction score
City, State
Snow elevation California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Expl 4x4 XLT 4.6L
Hello, the door ajar light stays on -- I tried using Forscan, it seemed to show the drivers door is ajar, but I don't know how to work Forscan. So I accidentally left the key on overnight, the battery was completely dead in the morning. I've switched out the door switch at the latch with a new part, the light flashed on and off but now it stays on. I don't know how to use Forscan to shut it off, or if maybe the problem is in the wiring harness or a different door, or do I need to drive the car awhile to get the computer to react properly since the battery was completely dead. The drivers door switches for locks and windows work perfectly. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Also, I have the original factory pcv valve and would like to change it out. It seems to be on the drivers side valve cover, but it looks different than what Napa sold me, and it seems to be firmly in place -- I can't just pull it out, there appears to be no rubber grommet. It comes out of the valve cover and turns 90 degree and connects to a pipe heading over to the air intake -- do I need to take pliers and wrench it off. ?? On the passenger side valve cover, there appears to be an old time pcv valve which would just pull out but I don't know what its for.

My vehicle is an early build 2002, the spout to add oil is on the drivers side. According to the pic in my Chiltons, the pcv valve is on the drivers valve cover.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look in your drivers side door jam boot, there is a likely a broken wire in there, fixing anything in there is a pain, cutting the boot might help for more clearance.
The PCV valve should just turn 90 degrees and pull straight out, make sure it is turned all the way, and get something to grab onto if it doesn't pull out easily. If I remember correctly my gasket was pretty shot and took some pressure to remove.

This video on youtube addresses this very issue (with the door ajar light):

The harness between the driver's side kick plate and door is problematic with the third gen, and was the cuase of my windows not woking on my '04 xls.
Hope this helps.

So here's a followup -- the right front door needed the new switch @ $28. Had to unscrew the latch to loosen and remove one of the connecting rods. The switch simply twisted in and out. As for the PCV -- the Chiltons manual is WRONG. The PCV on my early build 2002 is on the passenger valve cover, and connects to a couple of hoses and a tube. It gets purchased at the dealer as an assembly @$40. After 17 years of use, I can live with that.

There is somewhat faster way to diagnose it.
Pull the cover from rear passenger door pillar (pillar D). There you can access a main security module that monitors all the doors too. Pull the top (grey) connector out and check continuity between contact 14 (ground) and:
12 - Lift gate and lift gate glass (these are daisy chain connected)
11 - Driver side rear door
6 - Passenger side rear door
5 - Right front door
4 - Left front door
Whichever line doesn't ring - that door switch most likely damaged, and you will have to go into the door. If none of them rings - most likely main ground wire is damaged and the repair will be like shane10 and abcducati mentioned.
Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Back