Door Lock Problem - 2001 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Lock Problem - 2001 Explorer Sport

capacjsu

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey all, I'm brand new to this or any forum for that matter. I saw a few posts regarding door latch problems and how they were fixed. I don't believe my problem is with the actual exterior or interior handle, I'm thinking that it is more with the actual piece that keeps the door closed (I always called it the "latch" but these threads say the latch is the handle). Either way, I can lock my driver side door fine using the power lock on either my remote or interior button. I can't, however, unlock the door (well, every so often it works, but 99% of the time it doesn't). I have to manually open the door from the inside to unlock the driver door which is a real pain. I first thought it was the actuator so I replaced it with no luck, same thing happening. I was looking closely at the piece that keeps the door closed and discovered that there was a small spring (discription of spring: hook at top followed immediately by a tightly coiled spring and then a straight piece that appeared to be broken at the end which I'm assuming would have been the other end of the hook). I guess my question is: Can you JUST replace this spring and if so, how? If not and I have to replace the whole piece that keeps the door closed, is there a how to on that as well? There are alot of parts inside the door assembly and I don't want to mess with them if its not necessary. I hope all this makes sense. Please help, Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Silver, that's exactly what mine looked like. Sure wish I would have waited to read the threads on fixing it before doing it "by the book". I just got finished with it now at 2:30am. Just used the old spring, made a new J hook and put the spring back where it originally was. Seems to work ok now. I probably would have used the lazy man way that one of the threads describes by putting the spring outside the latch on the rod that attaches to the door handle....would have made it alot quicker..lol, but I guess it's good that I did it the right way. I've rigged enough things in my life so do do something the right way feels good. ;)

Thanks again for the info. I love this site!

I did mine the right way too.

Took a little longer, but I know it works correctly this way.

Probably works fine the other ways, but I didn't want to screw with it to find out.

subscribed (that darn cheapo spring is driving me nuts)

Had the exact same problem when I first bought my used sport. I just bought a new tighter spring for a handful of pennies and threw it in there.

I fixed it, I fixed it, or should I say I rigged it.
Door lock on ford Exp Drivers side would not work.
If you hit the button and you hear it trying to work it is not the actuator itself it is the spring. Its briken. The spring goes in the door part at the U the lock that latches the door, on the door itself, you cant get to it. There are two more springs on the handel too that hold it doun in place. I have one of them broken too but ignored it still works fine. If you work the button and look for the rods that go up to the lock. That is what is loose. The bors will move up and down.I took the cheap way out and used two rubberbands to hold the rods up, in place. Once you start I think you will see what I am talking about.
The door works now. I know the bands will wear in time but that is better than spending 65 for the part and then putting it in. If you want to put in a new devise there is a viedo on youtube, just type in, How To Install Replace Power Door Lock Actuator Ford Explorer Lincoln Mercury 88-03 1AAuto.com The company that made the viedo, (1a Auto) sales the parts for new actuator for 49.99, with free shipping. Advanced Auto sales it for 69.99 to 75.00. If you have any questions send mail to don30114@att.net I will asnswer. Im so happy.

Back