1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Door Locks

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by taxatthebeach, April 26, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. taxatthebeach

taxatthebeach New Member

City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    97 XLT
    With my 1997 Ford Explorer I have had a problem for some time but now the problem has become worse and is creating a real issue. The driver side door lock has been inconsistent in whether it will allow me to open the door from the outside. Frequently, when it is locked, I can not unlock the door from the outside. Neither the key nor the remote will work. All the other three doors (four if you count the rear door) work fine, but in order to get in the car from the driver's side I have had to enter through the back door and reach through and open the door with the door handle from the inside. This has always been an inconvenience but not a big issue except when the weather is bad and I am delayed in getting into the car. I bought the car used with about 37,000 miles on it about six years ago and the problem existed then. The problem got worse yesterday when the inside door handle got stuck and when I was able to open it I found that from that point on the inside door handle no longer worked and the only way to open the driver side door was from the outside. Now I am afraid to lock the door for fear that if I do and the outside handle will not open it, neither will the inside door handle. Outside of the obvious danger of not being able to open the driver side door, it could become awful inconvenient to have to enter from the passenger side and climb over the console. I am afraid that I will inadvertently lock the car and then be screwed. Does anyone know of any obvious suspects as to the problem and perhaps a reasonably easy way to fix it. At this point my plan is to try to take off the door panel this weekend and see if I can figure out the problem by inspecting the linkage, etc. Of course if I do that I will not be able to get the unknown part until some time next week, at best, and that will stretch the repair out over at least two weekends.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. heyok

heyok Active Member

City, State:
    Vancouver, Canada
    2000 Eddie Bauer
    Take a look in this thread. Don't take off your door panel until you read it because it might not be needed. Driver's door won't unlock!

Al

4. Turdle

Turdle Habla tortuga Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    I added a little comment to above thread
    That was my experience and repair of this problem

5. mikeh

mikeh Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis, MO
    98 XLT SOHC V6
  6. wierwolf

wierwolf New Member

City, State:
    Crestview, FL
    97 Sport
    I had the same problem with my driver door. Interesting to see alot of people have that problem. My problem now is I lost my power lock remote. Can I disable the system some how to start my car?

7. DBray6

DBray6 Member

City, State:
    Holiday, FL
    '03 Sport Trac
    I had the same problem also. I see alot of post about the spring, but my spring was fine. I just lubed the latch mechanism like crazy and I have had no problems since. I did remove the door panel to do it so I could get all areas. Mine works perfectly now. :D

8. davem

davem Active Member

City, State:
    Rochester, MN
    '01 XLT
    Do you lube the parts that actually go around the door post ? What kind of lube ?

Dave
    01 Explorer XLT 65K miles, with drivers door lock that is not working sometimes