Door locks

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
My passenger side door lock has frozen. It wont lock or unlock now. I have power door locks, but not keyless entry. When I bought my Ex, neither the passenger side nor the rear hatch door lock cylinders worked with a key. They would lock with the power locks, but nothing else. NOW, the passenger side is seized. I've never had to deal with door locks before, anyone got any ideas what I should try to do? I'm not sure I wanna deal with this myself as the door doesn't allow much room for hands to get in there.....might want to have someone else take care of this???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lock cylinders are just held in with clips. The are super easy to change, even if you have larger hands. Slide the clip off the cylinder, pull the cylinder out of the hole, disconnect linkage. Install is reverse of removal. Sometime the clip is really tight and may require a little persuasion.
attachment.php

Does anyone even make the locks for the doors anymore? I tried two of my local parts stores and neither one seems to have them in stock. Are the power door lock cylinders any different from ones that don't have power locks? I don't have keyless entry, but I do have the power lock switch.
I pulled off the door panel to look at these the other day, and it doesn't look like there's much room to get tools into.....

Thanks! Will check Oreilly's. Are the power door locks any different then the regular door locks?

Orielly's $42.99 for a pair of door lock cylinders

LMC has a lock set, 2 door, back hatch and ignition keyed alike for $129.95

Don't need the ignition lock, already done that lol. Not a bad price though for all of them..

Is the back hatch the same as the front doors?

The diagrams at www.lmctruck.com don't show a power lock option, so my guess is that there is no difference. There is an anti-theft version they do not sell, but I think I read you don't have that anyway.

I can't say for sure about the tailgate. The cylinder has a lever that makes the driver's side different from the passenger. The tailgate has the same lever, so it probably matches one side or the other.

Now, I am looking at the Orielly picture and the picture posted here, and the one here has a c-clip and lever which leads me to think it might be reversible for either side. The Orielly ones are clearly not reversible. The c-clip and black lever are replaced by a large white plastic lever.

You know, what I might at least call a local locksmith and see what he would charge to clean up your locks if you bring them in. Maybe the design doesn't allow them to be repaired, but they might. You might even get them working yourself if you soak them in some solvent and run the key through it.

I'm planning on buying some graphite poweder lubricant to see if I can't get them loose. Or i might go to a locksmith and try that way. If they're not fixable, I'll go with the LMC set and just replace all of them.

If I wanted to get creative, I might take a lock, and soak it overnight in some thin cleaning solvent, like carb cleaner or 90% alcohol. Periodically try to run the key in and out, give it some knocks with a wrench. An ultrasonic parts cleaner would be nice if you have one sitting around (LOL). Then again, yes, maybe your locksmith can free the locks for cheap.

Good Luck!

Turns out my key was so badly worn out that it wasnt able to turn the locks. I sprayed them anyways and now have two working keys from the locksmith for $17. Yay!

Back