• Register Today It's free!

Doorless security?

mastermoose

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Couldn't find anything in the search. How would one go about making their doorless expo less likely to get the stereo, CB, contents of the globe box, etc stolen? When it starts to warm up I want to take my doors off, but I also don't want someone to steal parts off my truck. The only thing I could think of was to make a custom locking center console and mount the radios in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The best thing would be a lockable box. You could use a remote control for the radio.

You can get a proximity sensor type car alarm. It will go off if it detects movement inside it's area.
Just set it so it's not so sensitive that moths will set it off.

The best thing would be a lockable box. You could use a remote control for the radio.

You can get a proximity sensor type car alarm. It will go off if it detects movement inside it's area.
Just set it so it's not so sensitive that moths will set it off.

Do they sell lock boxes or do I need to make one?

they make a lot of those. Just not for explorers. They are made for jeeps, roof and floor ones. Lockable and all. You'll need to adapt anchoring points instead of the center console or something.

Search in amazon or eBay.

Heck..when it gets warmer here I want my doors on to keep in the cold A/C..
But..I did have an alarm like this when I had a convertible that I never put the top up on.
http://www.viper.com/car/accessories/product/508d/invisibeam-field-disturbance-sensor
I kept nothing in the glovebox/console and never lock it. Everything was in the trunk in a box bolted to the floor.
A front opening lock box bolted to the floor under the back seat?

Don't trust an alarm to protect your valuables.

When I lived in Phoenix, I had a buddie, with a car alarm, get his car broken in to, broad daylight, with apartment tenants viewing. Nobody stopped anything. Pretty much, someone would be hesitant to do anything, fearing repercussion.

So, being able to just reach in, or jump in, isn't really a big deal, when you could run before anyone would really do anything about it. My 2¢...

Thanks guys. I'm gonna build a box to fit under the back seat to store my papers and valuables. Hopefully they don't steal my recovery equipment in the back though haha

Back