• Register Today It's free!

Double Din Help

dgonz

Reaction score
City, State
Porterville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLS
Hey guys, I have a coworker who's giving me a deal on a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT. I'm pretty excited. I've checked out the other threads about double din installs and I'm okay with having to trim the bezel and everything. But is there a specific dash kit or wiring harness I'll need? Or is it just something I can go grab at walmart? I'm always paranoid that I'll buy the wrong one if I don't have specific part numbers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I investigated install kits a few weeks ago, there are a couple of choices of brands, Metra or Scosche, they are available from several online sources.

Wiring kit: Metra 70-1771 ; Scosche FD1330B
Mounting kit: Metra 95-5600 ; Scosche FD16B

These are the kits for single disc or disc with cassette without factory sub-woofer. If you have the Pioneer six disc premium sound system with subwoofer the wiring kit will be different, but they are available.
Cruchfield.com, Amazon.com, and SonicElectronix.com are good sources.

Thanks. I ended up just going with the Scosche that was at Wal Mart because I was anxious as hell to get the thing in. It looks great, I'll have pictures up pretty soon! I still have to run the bypass for the parking break cable.

post some pics of the double din I get mine in about two weeks. Did you go with the 6.5" or 7"?

Will do like I said I'm going to have to run the parking brake bypass today when I get off work then I'll post some pictures of everything together. By the way while we're on the subject. I have absolutely no idea what "parking brake cable" to wire this thing to. Wiring is absolutely beyond me and I feel like it's something simple but I can't figure it out.

Only other thing you need to know is you will need to trim the bezel. Nothing huge, I was worried about destroying my bezel, but it was nothing. All you have to do is trim the back top and bottom lips around the headunit opening flush with the rest of the bezel. If and when you test-fit the unit, you'll see what I mean.

Yeah the trimming was so minor you can't even tell. I'm really happy with it I just wish I didn't have to be at work so I could wrap everything up.

Parking Brake system negative wire

Just installed a new Stereo in my sons 97 Explorer. It has a 7" screen he can watch DVD's but in order for it to work a wire has to be attached to the negative side of the parking brake so that the brake has to be on in order for the video to work. Can anyone tell me where this needs to connect?

SNC00020.jpg

:D

Just installed a new Stereo in my sons 97 Explorer. It has a 7" screen he can watch DVD's but in order for it to work a wire has to be attached to the negative side of the parking brake so that the brake has to be on in order for the video to work. Can anyone tell me where this needs to connect?

On my Kenwood, I just grounded the wire with the ground for the radio. I can play movies while driving (I never watch them though, its against the law :rolleyes:). Some radios make you go through a song and dance with the Ebrake before they will turn on the video,(older Alpines did, I dont know if they still do.) so just grounding wont work on some radios.

For legal purposes, just hook it to the single wire on the Ebrake pedal as per the manufacturers instructions. Its grounded when the brake is applied.

Back