Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

double pull into park?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Lonewolfncubs, July 9, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Lonewolfncubs

Lonewolfncubs New Member

City, State:
      Yonkers NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 XLT
      2002 xlt, had the truck a month and since i got it, when I shift from drive to park, it stops between reverse and park and I have to pull it back down and up again to get the shift lever into park...is this normal?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Oxygen

Oxygen Active Member

City, State:
      USA
      03 XLT
      that happens on my 03 xlt, i think it happens with my parents 03 xlt too.. you just have to go slow while bringing the shift lever from either drive/reverse to park and it won't stop on you... if you go to fast it seems like it gets stuck...

but just go slow with the gear shifter and it should go smoothly right into park with no problems... sometimes i notice too if you put your e-brake on it helps it too when shifting into park...

4. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      The shift interlock on steering column sticks on the 2002 and 2003 and cause your problems.

5. ExPlOrErImPoRtS

ExPlOrErImPoRtS Active Member

2002 4.6 Limited
      shift interlock has a pin less that 1/8" in size when press brake pull pin out of shifter lever (thingy) I replaced mine work good for week then back to same problem would have to rock backwards then to park. what a pain.

took mine out cut off 1/8" off of the pin. Now works perfect. and wont go in to gear without brake on. for some reason would not fully pull whole pin back all the way.:salute: