• Register Today It's free!

Douglas DC-3

E.T.

Reaction score
City, State
Ucon, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Anyone know why I might have a roadspeed-dependent hum which sounds like the above? It seems to come from the front end but is worse with a (480lb) load in the back..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wheel bearings

Thanks Joe. Rear right was buggered, had to replace the entire knuckle! Apparently the autoshop bent a 5 ton press trying to get the old sleeve out..

Thanks Joe. Rear right was buggered, had to replace the entire knuckle! Apparently the autoshop bent a 5 ton press trying to get the old sleeve out..
5 ton press tells you this shop doesn’t know what they are doing, go else where for other repairs.

Just saying.

30 ton shop press or a 30 ton log splitter work perfectly!

Next time I have to do one I'm using one of these (Dorman Loaded Rear Knuckle)

698-013-007.JPG

Joe and #4: I learned things here, thanks!
Miker: yarp. Costly but less headache. Careful not to damage the aluminium control arm with the maul like I did!

RockAuto sells the OE Motorcraft (BRG4) or SKF bearing for $200 less per side (shipped) than those assemblies. You have to have to remove/reinstall the knuckle either way.

Are you saying the shop charged you more than $200 to press in a bearing?

Personally, on my 3rd Gen (over 200k miles) and 4th Gen Exploders (over 130k miles), I keep a spare new rear bearing in the back of the truck. That way, if a bearing fails on a long trip, I have the part. Just need to find a local shop to press it in. Extra insurance.

RockAuto sells the OE Motorcraft (BRG4) or SKF bearing for $200 less per side (shipped) than those assemblies. You have to have to remove/reinstall the knuckle either way.

Are you saying the shop charged you more than $200 to press in a bearing?

Personally, on my 3rd Gen (over 200k miles) and 4th Gen Exploders (over 130k miles), I keep a spare new rear bearing in the back of the truck. That way, if a bearing fails on a long trip, I have the part. Just need to find a local shop to press it in. Extra insurance.

Getting a shop to press it in may be easier in some places. After the pain I went through doing this job, I will just buy the assembly and be done with it. To each their own.

I personally had to move interstate within a week of discovering the issue, so my only choice was O'Reilly's. One machine shop sat on the knuckle for an entire week and did nothing, before shop 2 failed to press it out..

The Moog ones don't have the parking brake shoes installed which was the biggest pain of the job!

The Moog ones don't have the parking brake shoes installed which was the biggest pain of the job!

Nice catch. I take your point about the extra challenge of finding a suitable/reasonable/competent mechanic. Its quite an adventure. The saving grace in (at least in Michigan) is that you can push for a written estimate up front (and walk if you don't like it)-- which constrains the shop from gouging you later.

Nice catch. I take your point about the extra challenge of finding a suitable/reasonable/competent mechanic. Its quite an adventure. The saving grace in (at least in Michigan) is that you can push for a written estimate up front (and walk if you don't like it)-- which constrains the shop from gouging you later.

Here them up front written estimates are way way way over shot.

Hmmm, cheaper AND comes with shoes? That tells you a lot about the quality differences. What brand bearing comes in the Dorman? The Moog comes with a National.

Back