Dr. Jack | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mike, the air line is 5mm with the fitting for the top of the solenoid ARB #170201
The nipple to connect the soleniod to the air compressor is an 1/8" BSP Male to Male ARB #170501
Kool, Thanks Daniel, now for the soloniod to arrive.

Sorry EF, still getting the hang of posting pics

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

HPIM1294-1.jpg

The new plain jane bumper with the lights installed, these are just temps until a custom bumper and winch is added on at a future date
HPIM1292-1.jpg

Bryce installing the slave cylinder

Great looking Explorer! It looks like you have a nice place to work on it too! :cool: :thumbsup:

The ex looks good. The seats look nice.

Great looking Explorer! It looks like you have a nice place to work on it too! :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks ya'll, got very lucky when I bought it, and the help I am getting from the EF family is awesome, the work was done in Mo at B2guy's, I wish I had something close to their workshop. The middle pic with the bumper (Gman, have you noticed I am now spelling that item correctly?) is at my place and that is basically my work area.

I think you're missing something... :p:

LOL, it took a while to figure out what was missing, but found it later in the glove box.:D

Well, the solenoid finally made it here, had to redirect the package because the UPS driver said he couldn't find my address so got it sent to my work. Now on to more stuff this weekend.

Waiting to see pics of this on the trail...or at least getting muddy. :popcorn:

Muddy? probably not muddy in TX. But dirty, heck yeah! Maybe some poser shots of it flexing out, or a pic of it climbing something other than the trailer..haha.!

So the parts are in, your going to install them, and test out the front locker this weekend. This would be a good time to take some pics of it.

Oh heck yeah it gets muddy. Up near Aubrey TX there is a huge mud pit that's basically a bog. I'd love to play there. :D

Not all the parts are in, (fittings) gonna do what I can this weekend. Oh yea, it can get muddy here, that's why the rig is in front of my house instead of the side where the p/u and work car are parked. I once spun the tire off the rim backing out.
Plans are to get the plates next month, forgot my insurance was due this month and having to fill the propane tank, it can get cold here.
Looking at hitting the road around middle of Janurary and gitting some trail under me then.
It's getting there one step at a time. And now there are fewer steps to get there. :D

Well finally had some nice weather yesterday and was able to get some work done. Just some interior work, funny thing is after all the stuff I bought and got to redo stuff, I ended up just going back to the way it was in the first place with just a few minor changes. Pics are coming, still waiting for the fittings to arrive so I can get the ARB for the front locker to work. Pics will be later this week.

Their close to being here, The driver's area is darn close to how I want it,since this is where the operation of the rig takes place I am determined to get it how I want it, remember, there are more than McD's drive thru with me, I still like What-A-Burger. (some members will get this joke about the drive thrus)
I want to see the Dr. Jack on the trails, but I want to see it over the hood!!!

Well the fittings for the ARB air compressor still have not arrived. I guess the load of packages this time of the year is slowing them down. Had the parts shipped to my work place since the UPS driver said he couldn't find my house, yet a package arrived for the house on the same land two days later. It is suppose to be fair this weekend, so I might just go ahead and try to mount the rock sliders, only have a small drill, (about 5amps) was going to see about renting a larger drill from Home Depot, but alas, the one here don't rent tools. Will just have to take it slow drilling out the alingment holes and use plenty of lube.
One step at a time. :)

I thought those sliders were getting welded on? Can you post a pic of them sliders?

I would call & ask for a tracking number if you don't have one for those ARB parts. It has been pretty long since you ordered them.

Poo...I hope you get them soon I wanna see this thing locked and rocking!

Back