Dr. Jack | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Woohoo!!!!

Got the airline in today and installed it when I got home. So now the rig has both the front and rear locking. :cool:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Congrats Unclemike! That is really going to make a difference in how the rig handles.

Ok, so your bumper is on, your lockers are working, you got it legal (I think), now it's time to take it out & get some good wheeling pics, flex shots, heck even crawling at the Mall would work. Oh, and if you email me the pics, I can post them for you, so you don't have to wait an eternity uploading on here.

I think we need to load up & pay SVO & CO. a visit and do some wheeling! Woot!

HPIM1313.jpg

Got to do a little testing today

HPIM1312.jpg

The pull and handling of the rig over uneven ground is good. Had no problem beginning the pull, some of the testing was in a muddy low spot and pulling out, I did't even have the diff's locked.

Been working as mother nature allows, was able to take the rig down some back roads and run it, that gave me a chance to figure minor faults out. The rear shocks have been replaced, with Edlebrocks IAS, was able to find the type Jack had installed from his registary, (lifted F150) and ordered a set, at 60% off! Got the off road lights installed and wired. (Top and rear, the front ones were already hooked up) The top ones are mounted on electrical outlet boxes from Home Depot and then secured to the roof rack, I just don't trust 4 screws alone to hold them in place in case of a sudden stop. The rear ones are mounted on electrical boxes also, but are much lighter and secured with the 4 screws. I used bicycle innertube as a gasket between the boxes and the roof, and then a crap load of black RTV. Been raining for two days and no leaks.
HPIM1327.jpg

It took me 3 sets of toggle switches before I decided on these. Shouldn't of tried to be cheap and just got this style in the first place. Where the ashtray was removed and installed two power outlets is visable. Trying to get the shifter and transfer set up was a story in itself. I think I just got tired of trying to improve every time and said "self, your done". This pic was taken at an angle, the switch panel is actually straight, and not at a slant like it appears in the pic. I had one hell of a time trying to get the "hump" looking somewhat decent, finally ended up using pieces from copiers that were slotted for the dump and glued carpet on them, and of course got matching carpet from under the rear seats. Couldn't fabricate a shifter boot for the tranfer case to mount properly, so just going without one.

HPIM1328.jpg

Ah, the camera location has been decided, but not connected yet, the LCD display tho was easy, I took the electric 4 wheel engage panel out, cut out a new one to fit, tapped the LCD into the 4 wheel harness and that was it. Wasn't going to use the cigarette plug in on this and have a wire getting in the way. The suction cup for mounting the LCD was thrown in the trash and the screen was bolted on. There is a toggle switch there to the left to cut the power to the LCD.

HPIM1329.jpg

The optimia battery, the middle series, not the super dooper style, it works excellent for what I need for the rig. Did go with the 24k plated battery terminals, these also hade the twin slots for cables.

HPIM1330.jpg

Had the rock sliders layed out to install today, but once again mother nature changed my mind, I have had my days of laying in mud working, and unless required, I don't do that anymore.
Had to order another arb solenoid, the one I recieved the release valve stuck open, and that is an "ahh sh#t".
The 33's feel thru, but will just have to keep an eye open and when more appear I hope I will have the $ for them, if not, just keep looking.
Got the trailer to haul the rig, so that went good, work to do on it and my tow rig.
Going good.

Forgot to add, over blacktop and improved road, the rig rides stiff but handles excellent, didn't get over 65, but that is a good speed. Over rough ground, it's like the rig is picking it's own way, response is excellent, moves smoothly, and when running thru a creek, really cool!!

I'm really liking the camera monitor mod, very nice.

I will keep an eye out for a duel shifter boot for ya.

I almost got a set of duel battery cable connectors, but the optima has side terminals as well, so I just ran a cable off the side post for my accessories.

Looking good Mike.

The truck is lookin nice, like what you've done to it. You could get a dual shifter boot from LMC truck but I don't remember what they cost in there...

The truck is lookin nice, like what you've done to it. You could get a dual shifter boot from LMC truck but I don't remember what they cost in there...

Thanks Glen, I'll give LMC a gander for the shift boot. BTW, where is McClure? I used to live in York County.

Your welcome..I seen them in there not to long ago just don't remember how expensive they are if they're worth buying new. McClure is about 20 miles south of Selinsgrove if you know where that is...kinda hard to explain since its a little town in the middle of no where....I don't even live in the same county as McClure but have a McClure address.

Sorry Mike they use to sell them in there. Maybe try car-part.com

Sorry Mike they use to sell them in there. Maybe try car-part.com

Ah, he## Glen, it's cool, venders add and delete parts all the time. One day they sell it and the next they stop that item. Will try car-part, if they still carry them kool, if not, just have to keep looking. (like a car part working and then not, looking at that now on the rig. I have to admit, it does feel good to be turning wrenches again)

Got to do some wheeling last night at my brother Robert's place after a steak supper!! It was done after sundown, so no action pics.

HPIM1335.jpg

HPIM1334-1.jpg

HPIM1333.jpg

Good news: this rig loves wheeling, the handling is great, it was muddy and the rig grabbed it's way thru.
Bad news: severe overheating, and blowing white smoke at times, theromstadt tests good with the boiling water test. Coolant lost but no external leaks. Pulling plugs today to check them.
I did find out that if I pull the rig up to the trailer, it makes a great work area to work in the engine compartment, like having a platform to work on.

Bad news: severe overheating, and blowing white smoke at times, theromstadt tests good with the boiling water test. Coolant lost but no external leaks. Pulling plugs today to check them.

Thats not good. You cant have many miles on that engine that was just installed.

Can you see a good flow looking into the radiator? I would start with the thermostat. Maybe go down to a 180*. See if that helps any.

Have a look around the heads to see if any coolant is being lost there. If the heads are good, it is just a matter of getting the thing to cool more quickly.

Electric fans with high CFM, water pump, radiator flush, etc...

That is no good (the overheating).

I think that dual shifter boot comes from a bronco 2.

The dual shifter boot came in bII's, ex's and rangers. Not good to hear on the over heating...

Got the radiator drained, flushed, and ran a bottle of stop leak, (and yes I went by the instructions on the bottle) the smoking did ease, but it has never been constant, so don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, will get coolant tomorrow and finish tomorrow night.
Replaced the coil pack, ran into town and got one earlier today, I replaced it simply because I just wanted to, and it made a difference.
The number 6 cylinder spark plug had a stong smell of fuel, will recheck it tomorrow, headers are still hot. Couldn't get to the #3 cylinder plug, I ain't Streach Armstrong. The other plugs all looked normal, firing clean.

Back