Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

dream truck turned disaster

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by MMason72, April 4, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. MMason72

MMason72 New Member

City, State:
    podunk, FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 Sport trac
    little history, I buy a car with around 100000 miles for cash and run it till it dies. my caravan that had 220000 + miles just went on me, so not cost effective to repair. After 7 years of the same car I bought my dream truck, a 2001 Ford sport trac. looks awsome...or so I thought, the guy I bought it from must have wrote the book on cover ups. even going as far as heat gunning the plastic to make it look new, he even bluffed one of the old spark plug wires. he put all new wire in to make it look nice, but I guess he didn't want to get to the hard plug on passengers side near the firewall, so he took the old wire ran it behind the manifold and bluffed the new one acrross the top to make it look nice. word of advice don't ever buy from tom burnette from Sarasota you might as well throw away your money. Any way its my problem now. So here is the problem

After fixing gremlin after gremlin I now have it parked in my drive way. I am showing 70+ psi at the rails in the on position and 100psi running. I am assuming it is the fpr, but I would really like to get some feed back from you guys on this before I dump more money in it and not fix the problem. I am over 7 grand deep in this with no end in sight. this is my daily driver so my wife and I are now forced to try and use one vehicle. I am not a very mechanicly inclined person, but I can hold my own with some coaching. Please ford nuts I need help.

Last edited: April 4, 2011
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
  4. MMason72

MMason72 New Member

City, State:
    podunk, FL
    2001 Sport trac
    yes

yes, same guy, didn't know what a scum bag he was till after I had bought the truck. I like to think the best in people, you tend to forget that there are people out there that are willing lie through their teeth to make a buck. he was also bragging about being on Pass Time. I also found out that he got band from Ebay for threating them, and then started another account just to undermind them, ya this Guy is a real winner. But like I said it's my problem now.

5. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    I also like to think the best about people. Sorry to hear of your issues. Be patient. Someone with some knowledge of your problem will chime in. In the meantime, you can try searching for your issue.

Good luck. :biggthump

6. MMason72

MMason72 New Member

City, State:
    podunk, FL
    2001 Sport trac
    Thanks Rondo, you and the many people like you that respond on this site is the reason I finally made an account. I never knew what a tight nit family Ford owners were till my truck wouldn't start at the store and loyal ford owners could not just walk by, they had to stop and try to help. I was very taken by the loyalty and pride ford owners take. even going as far as helping someone they don't even know. As far as research I have bought the book and spent literally 50 to 75 hours on line just trying to figure all these gremlins out. I told my wife instead of looking for someone else that had the problem I'll just make an account and ask. I have no doubt the "Ford Nation" will come through with flying colors.

7. Turdle

Turdle Freelance Stuntman Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    There is a fuel "pulse dampener" on the fuel rails, however the fuel pressure regulator is in the pump on the returnless fuel system such as in your truck.

I think the fuel pressure should be 60 psi --is the fuel pump running constant? Does it prime and stop when you Switch the key to the on position, or does it stay running?

I am going to move this thread to the sport trac sub forum, you will get more help there.

8. Turdle

Turdle Freelance Stuntman Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    It will also help if you list your symptoms,
    Does the check engine light illuminate when you switch the key on? It should

Does it go out with the engine running? if not, please have the codes scanned and post up all fault codes displayed.

If there is a wiring disaster, it might even be helpful to clear the codes, after scanning and posting them here, then, go back to have the new ones scanned again. This may take a while to work out, so, your patience will be required to trouble shoot this in a methodical fashion. It may seem someone will ask you to check something that cannot be the problem, but, it is important to check it.

I ask people not post a bunch of speculation in this thread. It may become confusing enough. ( ooops, there I go speculating)

9. MMason72

MMason72 New Member

City, State:
    podunk, FL
    2001 Sport trac
    I was actually looking into the posibility of the Dampener today, but the best I could come up with was it would cause low pressure not high.

you are correct the running pressure should be between 55 and 65 psi according to Ford service department, and holding no less than 30psi after five min of being shut off.

The guy I bought it from said that he has replace the pump 3 times and that he replaced it with a high performance delfi pump. My mechanic said there is no such thing as a high performance fuel pump, just a high flow.

yes, it does pime and stop.

Thanks for your help T

10. bdmaash

bdmaash Active Member

City, State:
    YYC
    '07, '01 sport trac

I think the problem is "I am showing 70+ psi at the rails in the on position and 100psi running", apparently it's some sort of problem, don't know what yet.

11. MMason72

MMason72 New Member

City, State:
    podunk, FL
    2001 Sport trac
    T, engine light does come on and then shut off after the engine is started.

I wish it was throwing a code, at least it would point me in a direction. no codes, I even had my mechanic hook it up to his computer system that checks vacuum and fuel mixtures and nothing comes up.

A little history: I had to replace the fuel line between the rails cause it blew out...twice. The plug in the column that controls the turn signal had to be pushed back in. The upper and lower housing for the thermostat had to be replaced. After I got the truck back from the mechanic, it would start, I would drive it around, turning it off and turning it on, eventually it wouldn't start, it would turn over, but not start. I would have to let it sit and then after about 20 min it would start, but I have not had that problem since I fixed the fuel line, so far, although I can't keep it running long enough to really get a good idea if its fixed or not. When I put it into park the idle wants to drop to almost 0 and twice stalled, but it seems the new fuel line fixed that problem too. You can feel the idle flux a little, may need new plugs. The idle sits at 500 rpms. I told my mechanic that the Ford nation was saying it should be a little higher, he said its fine and that I was using less fuel to keep it running. I just have to take his word for it.

If you guys need to know anything else just let me know.

Oh and it does have 20" tires on it, don't know if that would have anything to do with it, but I don't want to leave anything out. I almost hope it does, not sure if I like the 20" low profile look.

12. MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    This isn't my area of expertise but I'm also a memebr on mysporttrac.com and there's alot of Certified Ford mechanics on there that could help as well. Just a heads up to help you get some answers and fix the problem. Both sites are awesome and you'll always have someone on there to help out.

13. MMason72

MMason72 New Member

City, State:
    podunk, FL
    2001 Sport trac
    Thanks Midnight, later tonight I'll make an account there and try to link it to this one to give the guys there an idea of whats going on.

14. Clusterpup

Clusterpup Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Miami, FL
    02 Sport Trac 4x4
    Idle air control maybe? My truck was running like crap and shutting off and sometimes I could only get it to run right again by resetting the computer. After I cleaned the IAC with some electronics cleaner it ran fine again. Not sure about the high fuel pressure, my truck idles around 800.

15. bdmaash

bdmaash Active Member

City, State:
    YYC
    '07, '01 sport trac
    wonder if the fuel pump was changed (with the wrong one - by the previous owner)

16. MMason72

MMason72 New Member

City, State:
    podunk, FL
    2001 Sport trac
    Clusterpup, from what i have read if it was the Idl air control it would throw a code. did yours? if not then maybe its something to look at.

Thanks for your help.

17. MMason72

MMason72 New Member

City, State:
    podunk, FL
    2001 Sport trac
    Bdmash, I had thought about that as well. If he didn't know that the fpr was supposed to be in that pump then he could have very well just thrown a delfi high flow pump in there not realizing that the fpr needed to be replaced. any thoughts any one. Is there any way to make 100 percent sure it is the fpr before I take my truck bed off and spend all this money and time to find out that it wasn't the problem?

18. dgonz

dgonz Active Member

City, State:
    Porterville, CA
    2005 XLS
    Damn....sorry to hear that man. I'm not too mechanically inclined either (i literally learned how to change my own oil like 2 months ago) But this and mysporttrac.com are both great sites. I wish I could help, but I just wanted to post and say that someone on here will most likely be able to help you out. I post the dumbest questions on here and everyone is always extremely helpful. Sorry again, hopefully you'll be able to troubleshoot this and get it sorted out.

19. MMason72

MMason72 New Member

City, State:
    podunk, FL
    2001 Sport trac
    dgonz, I really do appreciate the kind words and support. I'm starting to feel like I'm not alone in this anymore. I'm sure someone will see this and a light bulb will come on. I'm sure if I can just get these last bugs worked out then I should be ok. well after I get the tires balanced, new drums ( warped and already cut), new plugs, O and proper fuel pressure. On a good note the engine does run real strong, and it looks really nice. I should post some pics.

20. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Denver,NC
    '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
    First off, taking your bed off will not get you access on these Sport Tracs like it will on the F150's. It's right under that welded in cross member.:(

[​IMG]

I would be very suspicious of the fuel pump he put in there. To set things straight, there are high pressure and high flow fuel pumps, all aftermarket brands. There's no way for a stock pump to build extra pressure..........

21. MidnightRebel07

MidnightRebel07 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    2003 Explorer Sport Trac
    Make sure you check out the Sport Trac site, lots of helpful people over there, the more brains working on the problem the faster the solution is found. Hey that was pretty good, LOL.