drilled and slotted rotors - 02 exp/xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

drilled and slotted rotors - 02 exp/xlt

malaka

Reaction score
City, State
central nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer xlt
hi ho!
just installed new drilled and slotted rotors (all four). now when gently applying the brakes i get a "fluttering sound". its not too much of a nusience,
yet but it probably will be real soon! anyone have any experiences with this type of rotor, or know if i can stop the noise?
thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the drilled rotors on my motorbike have always made a "sort of" fluttering noise when applied, and have from factory, its very subtle, it might be the air moving through holes on the rotors.

it might be similiar, but if its very noticable or happens all the time, then it might be an issue.

drilled rotors make a fluttering sound under moderate breaking...it will disipate a little once they get worn in...its normal, relax ^.^...my X does the same thing.

Ah, another AK member eh? I'll be in Anchorage soon enough.

hi ho!
just installed new drilled and slotted rotors (all four). now when gently applying the brakes i get a "fluttering sound". its not too much of a nusience,
yet but it probably will be real soon! anyone have any experiences with this type of rotor, or know if i can stop the noise?
thanks!!

May I ask where you got them, and are you happy with the apparent quality of them? I will be replacing all four corners' discs and pads within the year.

mine are power stop, and they came with ceramic pads for like 350 shipped to my door in AK. they dont rust..dont squeek or squeel...and this truck can FREAKING STOP!!...i almost made the misses eat my dash when we were testing them after the brake in!...yeah...that was fun.

mine are power stop, and they came with ceramic pads for like 350 shipped to my door in AK. they dont rust..dont squeek or squeel...and this truck can FREAKING STOP!!...i almost made the misses eat my dash when we were testing them after the brake in!...yeah...that was fun.

hahaha, er, I mean, Oops. So is the missus okay:cool::p:

Like the price and the apparent results. Who was your supplier?

ebay ^.^ lol. and yeah, this was almost a year ago(and STILL NO SQUEEKS!!!)

ebay ^.^ lol. and yeah, this was almost a year ago(and STILL NO SQUEEKS!!!)

XLNT, and the wife is informed - mine doesn't lke the taste of dashboard (ask me how I know!)

I have slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads on front and back. They make the flutter sound you speak of since installed. I have had no breaking issues. It can be heard when braking and next to a divider wall. while on road or highway. I have even flipped the rotors so the slots angles to the back and it make not difference in sound.

brakeprerformance.com
A1 quality, stops on a dime
i got the black/drilled/slotted
i used wagner tq pads
i did all four
let me know if there are more?

brakeprerformance.com
A1 quality, stops on a dime
i got the black/drilled/slotted
i used wagner tq pads
i did all four
let me know if there are more?

Bad link, can you update it?

Tom

yup, that's the one!

heads up guys. reserch done all over the country has shown that slotted brakes increase stopping distance compaired to flat as well as drilled brakes. for actual performance, do with only drilled...the sloted ones may look cool...but that wont be much help when you rear end some one ^.^. go with the power stop brand.

heads up guys. reserch done all over the country has shown that slotted brakes increase stopping distance compaired to flat as well as drilled brakes. for actual performance, do with only drilled...the sloted ones may look cool...but that wont be much help when you rear end some one ^.^. go with the power stop brand.

Post a link please if you have one. I would be interested in reading this.

I have slotted and drilled rotors and have only experienced improvement over my stock rotors.

that is probably because your stock rotors and pads were worn down when you replaced them right? at that point anything NEW would have been an improvement.

Now let me ask you. have you ever seen a level 3 braking kit by Baer of brembo have slots?...now they just drill the hell out of them.

http://www.powerstop.com/content.ww...eID=2P80WMDEZ2P80WO6J6&clientid=powerstop.com

http://reviews.ebay.com/Drilled-vs-slotted-rotors-what-is-better_W0QQugidZ10000000005243690

I had a way better artical, but im having a hard time locating it, and ive got to get back to work so ill do a little more looking when i get home.

that is probably because your stock rotors and pads were worn down when you replaced them right? at that point anything NEW would have been an improvement.

Now let me ask you. have you ever seen a level 3 braking kit by Baer of brembo have slots?...now they just drill the hell out of them.

http://www.powerstop.com/content.ww...eID=2P80WMDEZ2P80WO6J6&clientid=powerstop.com

http://reviews.ebay.com/Drilled-vs-slotted-rotors-what-is-better_W0QQugidZ10000000005243690

I had a way better artical, but im having a hard time locating it, and ive got to get back to work so ill do a little more looking when i get home.

No they were not worn out, I upgraded.

Thanks for posting the articles. This helps our fellow members.

Good articles. They were not biased IMO. I was a bit distracted by my five year old, but did not see anything that says slots will increase your braking distance. I know many factors are evident in these studies and each lean more to or away because of these factors. You can't mix daily driving with track racing and expect the same results. If we are breaking down the function of slots and drilled out rotors, then you still have to factor when they come into effect, how they effect and how long they are effective for your type of driving.

Thanks for responding with the articles.
This all helps people chose and make up their own mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we could do a site wide test between OEM, Drilled, and Slotted rotors. it would be a LITTLE inconclusive, but it would provide an idea for vehicle braking performance.

Back