drive shaft issue help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

drive shaft issue help

xNGxCRASH

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xl, 99 eddie
so i did my 5 speed swap and realised my ds from the auto dosent fit can i simply get a 5 speed yoke and put on my auto ds or do i have to find a whole 5 speed ds my truck is 4dr by the way

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not exactly sure but I dont believe it will, drive shafts are pretty decently priced i would just buy a new one to do it right the first time for sure, also if your truck is lifted or lowered could change what length you will need.

i donk know if i understand... the auto shaft you have is too long/short? or the yoke is wrong.. if the shaft wont fit maybe measure how long you need and look around at a junk yard for something close to those measurements. i think at on time i read here of a manual swap where i wanna say someone used a ds from a ranger not sure

i donk know if i understand... the auto shaft you have is too long/short? or the yoke is wrong.. if the shaft wont fit maybe measure how long you need and look around at a junk yard for something close to those measurements. i think at on time i read here of a manual swap where i wanna say someone used a ds from a ranger not sure

ds appeares to be the correct length just wrong yoke to the trans slightly too small

ds appeares to be the correct length just wrong yoke to the trans slightly too small

You can change out the yoke on the trans to match the driveshaft, just measure the output shaft diameter and spline count. But I would be looking at the length of that drive shaft, I am pretty sure the tailshaft of the auto and manual are different lengths. And that being said, the drive shaft is going to be different lengths also.

You can change out the yoke on the trans to match the driveshaft, just measure the output shaft diameter and spline count. But I would be looking at the length of that drive shaft, I am pretty sure the tailshaft of the auto and manual are different lengths. And that being said, the drive shaft is going to be different lengths also.

yeah just realised the ds is wrong needs to be almost 10 inchs longer so now where do i get a ds i know a 4 dr 5 speed 4x2 but not many around i found one but there was someone driving it so i doubt i could buy that one how about an ext cab ranger orrr???

What I would do is go to your local junk yard and pick up another driveshaft for a xplorer, then get your measurements that you need for length from end to end. Then find out how much longer you need yours to be. Have a local machine shop cut up the one you got at the JY and extend yours by however you need it. It is simple and cheap to have the driveshaft extended and balanced.

What I would do is go to your local junk yard and pick up another driveshaft for a xplorer, then get your measurements that you need for length from end to end. Then find out how much longer you need yours to be. Have a local machine shop cut up the one you got at the JY and extend yours by however you need it. It is simple and cheap to have the driveshaft extended and balanced.

so extending is my only option there is no ds that is the correct length other than a ds from a 4 dr 5 speed

Well first off, I have not even seen a 4dr 5spd of your yr from manufacture, only in the 2dr model. But they were made, just never saw one in person. So the likehood that you can find one is very low in my mind. So either you start measuring driveshafts from other vehicles for the length you need, but then you are going to run into buying offset u-joints to match transfer output shaft to ds, and or getting one cut to size. The easiest of the two is getting one cut to size that you need.

Check E-Bay, or online for a parts JY or distriutor that may have one.

Back