• Register Today It's free!

driveline angle

benj75

Reaction score
City, State
Seymour, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer Sport, 2dr
in AIM industries, multiple page, advertisement in "Truckin" magazine, they have a whole page about their lowering blocks.

The top of their extruded aluminum blocks is angled to compensate for the new driveline angle that is created by lowering(or lifting for that matter). They claim that not compensating for the changed driveline angle will cause the pinion gear to whine and wear out.

I had never heard of this before, anyone else?

I've known many people with lowered trucks, and have never heard anyone say that their pinion gear was whining or had to be replaced.

Has anyone with a lowered EX noticed a whining sound from their rearend? Anyone actually had to replace their pinion gear?

here's a link to the page:
AIM industries- lowering blocks

There is more info in the magazine advertisement, though.

They also offer shims to compensate for driveline angle. If i decide i feel it's necessary, I'll buy these (I have a 2dr and am moving the stock spacers).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is a big problem with lifting Jeep CJs and TJs because of their short wheelbase and short drivelines. Yes it can be a problem on the Explorer but probably only with extreme lifts or lowering jobs.

yes. this is true for big lifts/drops, but not a problem with the mild stuff. also, the shorter your wheel base, the worse the problem is. it will wear out the U-joints in the driveshaft before it wears out anything else.

So I shouldn't worry about shimming my 2dr EX dropped 2inches?

Anyone been lowered more than a year w/ no problems?

2 years?

...shimming refers to front end alignment as well as drive line.

shimming corrects the "squatting" that occurs when lowering the "front" /-----\

If you lower a 2dr/4dr X more tha 3" the blocks will have to be angled to correct the pinion.

This is why when looking at lowering blocks the 4" are angled, and the 3" are not.

If you go 2" you will only have to shim the front when you have the alignment done.

Hope this helps,
Johnny V.:bounce:

i have 2" blocks in the back of mine. they are fine. been there about a year. and no, they are not angled. a 2" is not enough to worry about driveline issues. and Johnny, i think benj75 was refering to the angled shims for the rear end (they correct pinion angle) and not front end alignment shims. you really dont have to worry about the ones for the front, let the alignment shop do em when they align it.

yes, i was talking about the rear.

All of AIM industires blocks are angled, even the 1 inch.

Back