Driveline Clunking, Noise, and surging foward, Trans or Transfer case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driveline Clunking, Noise, and surging foward, Trans or Transfer case?

Starscream88

Reaction score
City, State
Park Ridge NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Limited
Hi guys,
Im new to the baorad as I have just bought a Explorer, Its a 1996 Explorer Limited V6 with 4WD,
Now the Truck runs great etc etc, Except the Trans seems a little funny,
I have changed all fluids, in the Trans, Transfer case, and Rear Diff,

The Trans fluid seemed fine, I did this first the day I bought it,
I was having this problem where when you brake it seems like the trans shifts down and surges the car foward, I belive its mentioned in another thread it feels like you have been rear ended,
So I decide to change the teransfer case fluid and diff,
Well I didnt even get a cup full of fluid out of the transfer case, And it came out dark brown and didnt smell like ATF at all! Looks like its never been changed since 96!
So I filled it with fresh ATF and obviously filled it all the way,
Didnt cure anything,
When your on the highway at around 50+ I see the Rev counter drop from 2k to 1k and then you hear this huge whining wirring sound and its REALLY loud, Only goes away when you touch the gas pedal again :(
So Im scared now that my Trans is dead,
also when im in N and select 4WD auto or 4WD low it really clunks going in, Is this normal??
The trans shifts smooth up and down gears, Just seems like the last gear when you are breaking to stop and now the highest gear when you on the highway is screaming until you touch the gas,

Whats wrong with my truck?
Transfer cases and Transmissions are expensive, And if Im going to replace them I want to know which one :(

Thanks and a hello from the board n00b :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My initial gut guess is T-case. This CAN be a DIY project, and a rebuild kit (w/o chain) is about $100. (thatis IF you can determine that is what it is.) There is another thread with the surging in it, and I cannot help but wonder if the Torque Converter isn't unlocking apppropriately.

It could be the torque converter,
Its making that whining buzzing, whirring noise every time im coming off the gas,
Then the second you put your foot on the gas pedal the noise goes away,

But the clunks and the surging make me wonder

Generally that application of throttle is a signal to the PCM to unlock the converter. If that is what is happening, then I'd bet on the TC clutches. Good luck,
DW

Called up a few transmission places, They tell me its the Transfer case,
Apparantly its the chain,

So now im looking for a transfer case, If anyone has one let me know ;)

Which case do you have in that year??

Glacier991 said:
My initial gut guess is T-case. This CAN be a DIY project, and a rebuild kit (w/o chain) is about $100. (thatis IF you can determine that is what it is.) There is another thread with the surging in it, and I cannot help but wonder if the Torque Converter isn't unlocking apppropriately.

Where can you get the rebuild kits at for $100. How do you know if you need to replace the chain or not?

Also, mine is drivable in 2wd only... but I had to disconnect the power plug to the transfer case motor to keep it in 2wd.

i had the same prob so i took it to amaco trans shop and found out that the prob is caused by the transfer case motor replace that motor 143 bucks through amaco transmissions and 40 bucks for them to put it in

Back