• Register Today It's free!

Driveline Noise

daw00l

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Sport
Hi everybody. This is my first post here but I've been reading for a while. Ive got a question about my 96 explorer sport 4.0 4wd. When I drive around I can hear a noise coming from I think the rear output shaft of the transfer case. The noise changes as I speed up or slow down. This afternoon I took the driveshaft off at the rear of the transfer case and found that the output flange from the t-case had a little play in it, but only if i really push on it. The front one had nothing so I would assume that the play shouldnt be there. The U joints all feel like theyre in fairly good shape, although I'll replace them anyways. I also plan on replacing the output flange when I find time to go get one, but If the output flange doesnt fix the noise and it is the bearing within the transfercase, what's gonna happen if I dont fix it right away?

David

If you have 2WD option, use that, otherwise either raise front of vehicle so both wheels are free to rotate, support under suspension points. If NO 2WD option, drop front driveshaft off transfer case.

Rear driveshaft is DISCONNECTED from transfer case.

Run engine in Drive, listen to rear bearing area of transfer case with a screwdriver stethoscope, or rubber vacuum hose used like one.

If bearing noise is present there, you will hear it distinctly. If YES:

Those transfer cases are fairly easy to repair; they are light enough to lower and put back by hand. It will be obvious how to replace the rear bearing after removing the U-Joint flange and separating the case halves.

While you were "listening", it would be wise to check at the front shaft bearing for noise (in 4WD, of course) and the very front of the transfer case, for input shaft bearing noise. Once you go in to the damn thing, if it is a high-miler, it is wise to replace ALL the bearings, as well as the chain. imp

Back