• Register Today It's free!

driveline shudder

speedeep

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I've got a 92 XLT with 125K miles on it. It's been a well-behaved truck until just recently when I started getting a strong shake under acceleration. It doesn't shudder from 0-25 mph, shudders strongly at 25mph and then very gradually lessens all the way up to 65+ where it is barely noticeable. I've read a lot of descriptions of highway-speed shudder, but not too many mentions of slower speed shuddering like mine. Any suggestions? It's going in the shop this evening, I'd just like to have an idea what might be causing this before heading in to an unknown mechanic. Anyone know any good mechanics in Overland Park, KS?

Thanks,

speedeep

Got something similar on mine. I've had all the tyres balanced and that helped a lot. But its still there so going to change the rear propshaft universal joints (as soon as they arrive). Hope this helps a bit.

I had mine to the shop twice, and it turned out to be a broken belt in the tire. Mine shaking/thumping(almost like a soon to blowout) It started around 30 and went to about 65. That was in the end though, and it started out with a smaller speed range. I could see/feel where the belt was busted in mine.

Back