• Register Today It's free!

Driver door extremly loud noise.

snoopy2003

Reaction score
City, State
Eunice, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 (ordered 4/7)
I Have a 2011 explorer xlt. I've had it over a year and a week ago the drivers door started squeaking very loudly all of a sudden and has gotten worse. It is now extremely loud. Anyone else have this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its probably just dirt and gunk built up in the hinges. I use silicone spray and the sound goes away instantly. another possibility is white lithium grease but that leaves a nasty white residue.

I Have a 2011 explorer xlt. I've had it over a year and a week ago the drivers door started squeaking very loudly all of a sudden and has gotten worse. It is now extremely loud. Anyone else have this problem.
Is this happening with the door closed and while you are driving?

Peter

Check the door striker and bushings. Also lubricate the door latches with white lithium spray.
Chased a door rattle and squeak for two years, fixed by cleaning and treating the door seals.

It is only when opening and closing the door. I never thought about the silicone spray I use to use that on my atv for squeaking. I'll let the dealer do it going in Wednesday for a broken seatbelt and the a pillar trims comming off again for the 4 th time.

Anyone else had this problem? I just bought a 13 limited and both front doors squeak BAD when opening/closing

Right from the owners manual:

Owner Checks and Services
Certain basic maintenance checks and inspections should be performed
every month or at six month intervals.

Check every six months -
Hinges, latches and outside locks for proper operation. Lubricate if
necessary.

From the Capacities and Specifications section:

Hinges, latches, striker plates and rotors, seat tracks, fuel filler door hinge and spring

Motorcraft Multi-Purpose Grease Spray
Part #XL-5 /ESB-M1C93-B

I guess I'll give that a try. I used wd-40 but it didn't help at all. It's terrible. I made a quick video to show how it sounds.

I guess I'll give that a try. I used wd-40 but it didn't help at all. It's terrible. I made a quick video to show how it sounds.

eHtmQasX_J8

WD 40 is not a lubricant, although nearly everyone uses it for lubricating hinges.

Its ok to use WD-40 to clean out the inner workings of a hinge which it will do pretty well, but you need to follow it up with a real lubricant. Check your owners manual for the proper lube.

WD 40 is not a lubricant, although nearly everyone uses it for lubricating hinges.

Its ok to use WD-40 to clean out the inner workings of a hinge which it will do pretty well, but you need to follow it up with a real lubricant. Check your owners manual for the proper lube.

This x 1000. Everyone and their grandmother uses WD-40 as a lubricant. It doesn't help that the last bottle of WD-40 I bought said "lubricates" on the front. It will work briefly as a lubricant but will quickly dry up and you're back to square one. I usually get a white lithium or dry silicone spray for the door hinges (available at any auto parts store).

White lithium seemed to help some (not completely) but makes a mess. I needed some anyway for my garage door.

Back