• Register Today It's free!

Drivers door lock

oblivionboyj

Reaction score
City, State
Drumore, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
When I lock the doors with the power lock button, the key, or the remote the drivers door lock moves as if it going to actuate but it does not.
I can not force the lock down manually with the drivers door closed either.
As a result the drivers door is unlocked no matter what I do.
It is almost like there is an obstruction preventing the lock button from engaging.
I guess it could be a weak solinoid, but that doesn't really explain why the door can not be locked manually.
All of the other doors, and the tailgate lock just fine, so this problem is isolated to the drivers door.
I wanted to put it out to you guys before I got to digging around inside the door.
Has anyone else had this problem?
What did you do to fix it?

I have a grasp on the heater problem now, so if I can get this fixed I will have already adressed with all the problems I know about.
I am feeling more and more like I got a good deal every day :)

If it wont work with your key, there is something wrong at the key tumbler. The cylinder may be bad, or the rod connected to it is obstructed, bent, mutilated, or one of the little plastic snap holders broke off, or the gears inside the actuator is shot.

Take a look at it with a flashlight from the inside, look at the rod connections from the lock to the actuator. Try disconnecting the rod at the actuator (from the lock) and then use the key fob, or the door buttons. If it works, it's the lock itself, if not, its the actuator. These are notorious for going bad. Perfectly normal maintenance for these rigs.

Back