Drivers seat leg room 02-05 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers seat leg room 02-05 Explorer

yescalera

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Toyota Rav4
Hello Ive been looking into getting a used 02-05 Ford Explorer to customize. Ive been searching for specifications on front leg room and have come up with a couple of conflicting facts.

Edmunds.com lists the front legroom for the 2002 and 2003 models as 43.9 inches
Source:
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/explorer/2002/features-specs.html

Then If I change the model year to 2004 or 2005 the front leg room goes down to 42.4 inches.

Source:
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/explorer/2004/features-specs.html

I find the same data on other websites like KBB.com but then find completely different data on others.

Was there some mid production run change after 2003 that took away that 1.5 inches of leg room?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I take it you're kind of tall and concerned about having enough leg room?

I have a 2003 Explorer. I'm 6'7" and have plenty of leg room. My jeans are 32x38 so I'm all legs. You'll be fine.

I'm 6'0" and even with my work boots on if I have the seat all the way back I can't floor the gas pedal. Compared to many other SUV's I have sat in the Explorers seat goes really far back for some reason in comparison. You should be fine. There are so many around too that you can probably find one to sit in. Hell, ask someone in a parking lot or something if you can sit in it. That is a little weird to do I know, but someone will be cool with it and let you try it out! Otherwise just find one in a used lot somewhere and sit in it.

Did 3rd row seating come out in 04 and 05? If so, that is what probably moved things up a bit.

3rd-row seating was there from the start.

Thanks

Yep Im a big guy 6 feet tall.. 340 pounds.. so comfort is the main issue. Im tired of driving cars that I have to lean the seat back past the B pillar in order to get any sort of comfort. Ive been to all sorts of new dealerships and so far very disappointed with whats out there. So I did some research and found the specs of the 2002 and 2003 Explorer quite favorable. The added benefit is that Ford made and sold so many of the explorers that parts are cheap and easy to find.. and theres tons of modifications I can make it what I want it to be. Why bother spending all the money on a new car when I can take an old one and customize it.

Yep Im a big guy 6 feet tall.. 340 pounds.. so comfort is the main issue. Im tired of driving cars that I have to lean the seat back past the B pillar in order to get any sort of comfort. Ive been to all sorts of new dealerships and so far very disappointed with whats out there. So I did some research and found the specs of the 2002 and 2003 Explorer quite favorable. The added benefit is that Ford made and sold so many of the explorers that parts are cheap and easy to find.. and theres tons of modifications I can make it what I want it to be. Why bother spending all the money on a new car when I can take an old one and customize it.

Explorer seating is kind of weird. Has lots of leg room but even with the seat all the way back it seems too close to the steering wheel for me. On the other hand, if I drive my 2013 Equinox with the seat all the way back I can barely reach the wheel.

The telescoping steering mod may help some in here grab an extra 1.5"-2" of room for those knees. I know it made a slight difference for me.

-Dubya

Avoid one with a moonroof if you are at all concerned with headroom. I'm 6'2" and leg room is plentiful but I can't wear a hat without rubbing on the roof liner (mine has the moonroof).

Avoid one with a moonroof if you are at all concerned with headroom. I'm 6'2" and leg room is plentiful but I can't wear a hat without rubbing on the roof liner (mine has the moonroof).

Story of my life. Perpetual Alfalfa hair.

I'm 6'7" and without the moonroof my head would rub on the roof.

Back