• Register Today It's free!

drivers side door handle

Slappyhoohah

Reaction score
City, State
Epping NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer
Ok i just picked up my 06 explorer today, its not in great shape but its only a winter car so its not a big deal. One thing i really need to fix tho is that the only way to open the drivers side door is to open the window and use the handle on the outside cause the inside one doest work. Anybody have any idea how to fix that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might not wanna post in 911 next time about this....they get really irritated about that and get their panties in a twist :thumbsup:
But sorry I can't really help you on this subject, but dam if explorers don't have horrible doors :fire:

sorry.... im just a dumb noob haha
i just wanna get this stuff fixed asap so it will pass inspection and i can drive it

On the blach handle on the inside of the door, when you pull the handle, it is geared to another lever which pulls on the rod. The same thing happened to me (wife pulled too hard on the handle and stripped out the plastic gear)

Go to a junk yard and get another one, I believe you can use either a front or back handle.

I'm guessing you meant NINETY-6 x, and not OH-6. Buy a NEW drivers door pull from ford ($15), b/c it's only gonna happen again with a used part. Take the door panel off, unscrew the door pull and remove from rod assembly. Install new pull on rod. Screw back on and put it all back together.

Before all that - got to the nearest parts store and buy a Haynes manual. The best $15-20 you'll ever spend. Well, next best to the $30 to become elite here!!!

Back