1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Driver's Side Door Removal

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by verlane24, January 1, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. verlane24

verlane24 New Member

City, State:
      Springfield, MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 XLT
      I searched but could not find a clear answer. I need to take my driver's side front door off, and I've found some of the the connectors to unplug, but there are quite a few wires that go into the body and I cannot find connectors to unplug them to remove the door. Are they all inside the door and i'm just missing them? Do I have to remove the dash? I can't find a diagram for where those wires go, and I really do not want to try and cut and resplice them. this is a 93 xlt.

thanks
      brian

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. verlane24

verlane24 New Member

City, State:
      Springfield, MO
      93 XLT
    4. verlane24

verlane24 New Member

City, State:
      Springfield, MO
      93 XLT
      Come on guys, has no one done this?

5. TSTONE

TSTONE Giddy up! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland County, MI
      97 Mountaineer
      lower bolts are accessable behind the lower kick panel - upper requires dash removal (I think), why are removing the door?

6. verlane24

verlane24 New Member

City, State:
      Springfield, MO
      93 XLT
      Ha it's pretty embarrasing. The battery died the other day, and while I was pushing out of the garage I sliipped and the truck started roll, catching the god**** door on the side of the garage door.:fire: It bent the door to the point I can't close it.

Stupidest thing I've done in a while. Remarkably the hinge brackets did not bend, and the door sort of popped under the front quarter panel as opposed to bending it too. So I just need to replace the door, and was lucky enough to find a complete door, already the right color and trim, for $100.

Anyways, I can physically remove the door, my question is where to uplug the wires that go from the door into the body. A few have plugs on the door itself, but I can't find where to unplug some of them. I am afraid it's under the dash, but wanted to make sure before I started to tear into it.

7. nascar_intimid

nascar_intimid Active Member

City, State:
      st.catharines,ontario
      '94 eddie ..'02 limited
      just use inline squeeze connectors after cutting the wire, they last forever and takes seconds to install. No need to make a mountain out of a mole hill...works great for me

8. MONMIX

MONMIX I fix dents Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport
      NO, NO, NO, NO
      DO NOT CUT THE WIRES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Under the dash will yield zero benefit.

Removing the door is not a difficult task. ( I have removed thousands )
      Ford did not put a multi-pin connector on the doors for some stupid reason.

Take a sharpie and trace the path the door harness follows. There should be five or six connectors. Just push them out the front wire hole in the door.
      Work with the bolts to the door NOT to the post. 13mm bolts. A wrench does the trick.
      Break them all loose and then back them out starting from the bottom and go up.
      The top bolt should be the last one you remove.
      Have a buddy holding the back end of the door. This SOB is heavy.
      Oh, put several strips of masking tape on the fender edge and the door edge to protect from oops.

9. verlane24

verlane24 New Member

City, State:
      Springfield, MO
      93 XLT
      Thanks for the tips, but I didn't check here until it was too late :confused:

This was my problem all along. There were some wires that I could not find disconnect points for on the door. My initial plan of attack was to do this, but I would have still have to cut one or two wires I couldn't find disconnects for, or dig into to the door to find the connectors. Plus, the new door from the junk yard had multi-wire plugs.

Here's what I found, for anyone else who might need this for the future.

As Monmix said, there is no point to pulling out the dash unless you want to waste 45 minutes. I went a head and cut the cables with a great big pair of pliars, since i don't need any of the stuff in the old door anyway, and the plugs are inside the vehicle. I wanted to get the door out of the way to try to locate the plugs. I had the door sitting on a pair of jackstands, so I just pulled the bolts, slid the door out of the hinges on the jackstands, and lifted it out of the way. It is rather heavy, but not unmanageable.

My new door had mult-wire plugs so I knew they were in there. But there is not enough slack in the wires in the body to pull them out through the holes. But if you remove the kickpanel, and some of the molding you will find a black bundle of cables that comes from the back left of the vehicle and goes up behind the parking brake. This cable is attached to the cable and plugs we want, but they are snugly behind the black plastic panel(waterguard?), which is conviniently behind the parking brake control assembly. So i pulled the parking brake cont asym, there is enough slack in the brake cable to just move it over a few inches, to peel that black plastic panel to access the wires. If you pull the plastic tabs that hold that cable that comes from the back out of the body, you can pull the wire to you enough to expose the plugs.

So it is kind of a PITA. But not nearly as bad as removing the upper door hinges. I could find no easy way to access the nut that is on the inside of the body, so I had to shove more of that black plastic stuff out of the way, and feel my way in there with a small rachet and extension. I am not looking forward to putting the new one on. Took a good hour of trying to slide a wrench up there, until I finally got mad and shoved my way in.

So I guess I am half way there. I didn't relalize that my hinge was bent until I got the door off, so I have to go find one of those today. Hopefully everything in the new door works OK. :eek: