Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Drivers side tire shaking

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by strtracer436, April 27, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. strtracer436

strtracer436 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 ford explorer xlt
    I have a 94 ford explorer with a 6 in lift 33 inch tires. I have replaced the upper and lower ball joints and also the bearings. Tie rods are good. When I'm driving and go to slow down I hear a shutter/shaking noise from the drivers side. Does anyone have any ideas what it would be or has anyone had a similar issue?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Blue m&m

Blue m&m Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Athens, GA
    94 Sport 4X4
    92 Eddie 4x4
    How are the bushings on your radius arms and axle pivots?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Double check the bearing nuts for proper seating. Which hubs, auto or manual?

Jack a wheel off the ground and check for play by shaking the wheel.

They are finicky at times, and might take a few tries to get them right. With manual hubs, I mark both nuts with a sharpie, with a line straight across both. If the outer nut moves at all, you can see it at a glance.

With auto, sometimes the key way isn't doing its job, or the groove in the spindle is wollered out.

5. strtracer436

strtracer436 New Member

94 ford explorer xlt
    I haven't checked those actually I didn't even think of that. Is there an easy way to check those?

6. strtracer436

strtracer436 New Member

94 ford explorer xlt
    They are manual hubs I will have to check that and see if it has any play I will keep you updated thanks

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blue m&m

Blue m&m Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Athens, GA
    94 Sport 4X4
    92 Eddie 4x4
    Generally, excessive wear should be visible. You can slide under the front end and take a look. Two bushings for the radius arms and two bushings for the axle pivots. The radius arm bushings have a nasty habit of wearing out.

8. TxCowgirlInCo

TxCowgirlInCo The Neverending Quest for my next “parking rock” Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Texan In Colorado
    92,93,96 4d&2-94 2d sport
    What lift do you have? Superlift, Skyjacker, Duff, etc??? Do you have extended radius arms? Even if you're radius arm bushings are visually ok you should Jack each side up one at a time and use a pry bar and see if you can get the rearward end of the arm to move up and down at all (esp if you have stock arms). You should have a bit of forward backward play (minimal) from the bushings but up / down or left / right requires further investigating. While you've got each side up in the air you can check your axle pivot bushings by trying to pry the beam kinda forward / backward slightly for whichever side tire is off the ground. I've found that further out nearest the bottom of the coil is a good place to Try. And it's not just forward backward its more rotating the end of the beam as if you were trying to change the caster.

Gman put it very eloquently that the first gen bearings are finicky . Even stock they can be a tad moody if you wheel, add 6" of lift... You can just start scheduling regular front end checks / maintenance and keeping an extra set of bearings handy.

Lastly, when you did the bearings and were reassembling, did you clean your caliper slide rails well and put a small amount of caliper slide grease (brake grease - ford recommends silicone) in the rails? We're you able to move them a bit in and out once the pins were in? With time, both the knuckle and the caliper rails can wear down to cause the caliper to hang up sometimes. Check ask if that and let us know what you find!

• Like Like x 1