Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Driving straight with horrible noise??

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by J.Lebel, August 5, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. J.Lebel

J.Lebel New Member

City, State:
      Maine
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Mercury Mountaineer
      I have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer. While driving STRAIGHT, not turning...there is a horrible grinding/rubbing sound coming from the drivers side front tire area. I had the wheel bearing replaced on the passengers side within the last year, and the sound is similar but it is not while turning like it was with the wheel bearing needing replacement...so it is different. And that is the only answer I keep getting...I think it is something else...Also, when I got new tires put on a few months ago and the alignment was done they told me that on both front sides the cambers were at -1.6 degrees on the left and -1.2 on the right....and that I needed new cams to adjust front cambers? Well, I never got them...could this be the issue now? Because it sounds really, really bad....

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. det107

det107 Member

City, State:
      Vails Gate, NY
      02 Ranger Edge
      Welcome to the site ! Usually when I do wheel bearing jobs, I do both sides as a preventive measure-

4. J.Lebel

J.Lebel New Member

City, State:
      Maine
      1997 Mercury Mountaineer
      Ok, well like I said...it just seems different. The only thing that seems similar is the fact that it is an obnoxious noise. It took awhile for the wheel bearing on the passengers side to get loud enough so I realized something was wrong. But this one started out quiet and then within the same half of day it was obnoxiously loud.

So, when I got new tires put on a few months ago and the alignment was done they told me that on both front sides the cambers were at -1.6 degrees on the left and -1.2 on the right....and that I needed new cams to adjust front cambers? Well, I never got them...could this be the issue?

If so, is it expensive? Does anyone have an estimate price wise if I bring it somewhere to get fixed?

5. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      Probably not it, but check the caliper bracket bolts, to be sure they are tight.

6. mayhem1605

mayhem1605 Member

City, State:
      erie,pa
      '96 XLT
      i just replaced the drivers side wheel bearing on mine friday, it was making terrible noises going straight. It eventually started making terrible noises while turning so i decided to change it. You may need to change that wheel bearing.