1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

drop pan or flush tranny?

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by spotted dogs, December 15, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. spotted dogs

spotted dogs Active Member

City, State:
      merritt, bc, canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 ltd 4.0 sohc
      I need to replace tranny fluid and am debating on whether to drop pan and replace the filter and fluid OR just go with a flush and replace the fluid. Any ideas? (what I have read so far seems to be mixed)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      No mixed results with me. If you haven't done it before, you should drop the pan, replace the filter + gasket, and flush to new fluid. Then do it again about a month or two from now.

Then you're good to go for another 30,000 miles, maybe more depending on your driving and the quality of fluid used.

4. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      <putting on flak jacket> This issue has as much controversy as any on this board. You will find mild to rabid adherents to both schools. I think if you have an electric drill, then dropping the pan, changing the filter, adding a drain plug to the pan (1/2 " drill and a $5 plug added for future use) and putting the newly plugged pan back on and refilling the few quarts you drained out... and several additional drains and refills in the weeks/months ahead is a good method.

Letting the Trannie pump pump out old fluid and add new as it does is not a bad method, depending on the age and condition of the fluid in the trannie....

I am not in favor of a machine flush on a high mileage trannie. I believe (without any data to back that up) that it may loosen too much debris.

Hope this helps.... there is no "gold standard" here, IMHO.

Smarter people than I am may disagree with me. I fully support their right to be wrong <grin>. Kidding.