Drop Steps On My 2000 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drop Steps On My 2000 XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I’m currently working on installing some drop steps on my X. As far as I know, no one makes them for second gens. So I took a pair made for a 2003 f150 since they’re 72” long. They fit perfectly between the rocker panel molding on my XLT and the front steps are in the right spot. I just need to move the rear steps back about 6”, which is easy as the steps are adjustable.

I’ve since removed the Westin running boards I had installed. The drop steps I’ll be using are on the floor.
2848C64D-31C1-447D-92B4-0D47BD551FE9.jpeg

I tested everything to see how it fits and just need to have the mounting plates for the steps welded onto my rocker panels, since I can’t get the mounting plates behind the rocker panels like the f150.

79B775F3-DAA9-4474-AF73-B6C3A063A1BA.jpeg

I should have them on by Saturday and will post more pics if anyone is interested in this mod. With my luck I’ll go through all this trial and error. and nfab will just release bolt on drop steps for second gens a few weeks later lol. But hey, these steps only cost me $175 vs the typical $300-$500 range.

Those look really good.... putting steps just where you need them instead of along whole side...

Yeah, you can remove just the steps too if you go off-road for more clearance. I just need to weld the small bolt plates to the rocker panels and I’ll be good to go.

Back