• Register Today It's free!

DTC B2393 with LFC 19 - HELP!!!

lars1022

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
This is my first post so please forgive me if it's not formatted correctly.

My 2002 Ford Explorer XLT (mfg in Jan 01) has the air bag light on in the instrument panel. After exhaustively searching the net to identify causes/solutions, I ended up taking it to the shop. They came back with DTC B2393. I searched and searched and couldn't find anything conclusive.

Then, based on this site, I counted the number of times the light flashes to determine the Lamp Fault Code (LFC) which is 19. Searched and searched, nothing but vague definitions.

My mechanic says it'll take 2-3 hours labor to find the problem. That's close to $300 just to "find" the problem. I would think with DTC B2393 and LFC 19, we should be able to nail down a solution or at least a general area in which to begin.

I've seen the TSB for the LFC 33 & 34 but am unsure whether those apply to my situation. I'm going to try disconnecting the switches under the passenger and driver's side seats in the hopes that it's just a loose connection but if ANYONE can help me solve this based on their own experience with it, I would be grateful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

According to my '02 Shop Manual, LFC 19 is:

Restraint System - Air Bag Status (Driver Front Air Bag Circuit Fault)

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about this will chime in.

You need what is called the squib code that goes along with the trouble code to narrow down problem. The ford software i believe is the only that will give that info. Ford lists as possible causes rcm, clockspring, driver air bag.

RE: BigRondo & Swetrid - Thanks. Continuing...

Okay, so I disconnected the battery. Waited 30 minutes. Removed the air bag and disconnected, then reseated/reconnected all connections. The horn works as does cruise control.

I checked under the driver seat, but of course can't move the seat because I disconnected the battery - doh! :( So I'll reconnect the battery and adjust the seat to access the connectors that are there, reseat them and reconnect.

If that doesn't solve it I guess I'll be forced to take it to Ford, which I really HATE to do. I get overcharged every single time for something I find out later I can do myself. So I'm going to leave this post open in the hope that someone else has had the same issue and can advise me. :feedback:

BTW/FYI: The clockspring was replaced already with a brand new one from Ford Dealer. The steering column was replaced with a brand new one. The transmission was replaced with a brand new one. I've basically purchased this truck twice! 182,000 on it and still going so I guess it could be worse:)

The code has nothing to due with seat so you can eliminate that, if you start moving around all the wiring etc you may end up with the seat belt harness problems. It pertains directly to driver air bag problem.

Should I just replace the air bag?

Replace or disconnect? I'm concerned it will deploy at any time. If I just disconnect it will that harm anything or affect the other air bags?

If the airbag light is on the complete airbag system is disabled and wont work if needed. It won't falsely blow the airbags or anything like that when light is on.

Back