Dual Moon roof Rattle | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Moon roof Rattle

Any news from the dealership, mftasch? If you'd like, I'd be happy to escalate this to your regional customer service manager; they'll coordinate with your dealership on silencing the rattle noise. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Leave the rest to me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal,

I took it back for a second time and the rattle was still there a day or so later....I was going to take back in today but just haven't had time. I will be scheduling a third visit later next week. If I can't get it fixed after a third attempt, I will take you up on your offer.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crystal,

I took it back for a second time and the rattle was still there a day or so later....I was going to take back in today but just haven't had time. I will be scheduling a third visit later next week. If I can't get it fixed after a third attempt, I will take you up on your offer.

Thanks.

Definitely keep us posted, mftasch. I'm here if you need my help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Dual Sunroof Rattle - new occurrence

Hi. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find info on the possible source of the very annoying rattles in the dual sun/moon roof of our 2011 Explorer. I saw a few posts here from others having the same problem.

We purchased it from the original owner in 11/14 with only 29,000 miles. The rattle didn't start until a month or so ago i 03/15. It comes and goes, but is mostly present and seems to be occurring with more frequency. When it is rattling, it is so aggravating and distracting. We otherwise love the vehicle, but are stunned that something like this can happen in a $50K truck.

The dealer says it is the first they've heard of the problem.

I saw the recommendations for bending metal brackets and tightening screws, but those don't seem like a real fix. Please help! Thanks so much.

Welcome to the Forum Seattle Rain.:wavey:
Does it rattle whether it is open or closed? How about when the shade is closed?

Peter

Hi Peter! Thanks for the welcome and for the quick reply. Much appreciated!

So, it rattles when open and closed and when the sun shade is open and closed.

When I reach around and exert upward pressure on the moon roof, the rattle stops.

Hi Peter! Thanks for the welcome and for the quick reply. Much appreciated!

So, it rattles when open and closed and when the sun shade is open and closed.

When I reach around and exert upward pressure on the moon roof, the rattle stops.
I didn't have any issue with the moonroof on my 2011 but I no longer have it. I don't know if there is anything in the tracks that can be loose.
The only thing I recall that is in addition to the tracks is the pop up screen at the front of the opening. Have you tried having someone, other than you, listening to see if they can try and isolate where the rattle is coming from?

Peter

Hi. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find info on the possible source of the very annoying rattles in the dual sun/moon roof of our 2011 Explorer...

Welcome to the site, Seattle Rain! I received your PM this morning and sent you a reply; let's see how I can help quiet things down in your Explorer. :)

Crystal

Welcome to the site, Seattle Rain! I received your PM this morning and sent you a reply; let's see how I can help quiet things down in your Explorer. :)

Crystal

Good Morning Crystal,

Thank you for the welcome and fast reply. Very much appreciated!

I will provide the requested information via PM today.

Thank you again for the follow up. We are relieved to know that this problem can be resolved.

Kind Regards.

Good Morning Crystal,

Thank you for the welcome and fast reply. Very much appreciated!

I will provide the requested information via PM today.

Thank you again for the follow up. We are relieved to know that this problem can be resolved.

Kind Regards.

Sure thing, Seattle Rain! I'll keep my eyes peeled for your message. :)

Crystal

For what it is worth....

I had my EX in for other items and mentioned this. At first, they didn't want to do much about it - saying it would take a lot of time to figure out, etc. I pushed them, as well as showed them the print out from this thread. They tightened the bolts and made some sort of "adjustment." I got it back and wasn't 100ft. out of their parking lot and heard the noise. Do dealers not test their work before handing it back to the customer? I would not have my job long if I followed similar practices in my industry.

I had my wife drive and I crawled in the back and found the noise. It ended up being the passengers side pillar in the rear by the lift gate that houses the speaker. I popped it loose and the noise went away. I popped it back into place and have not heard it since I did that. Not sure what it was, but it clearly was not the sunroof as I had thought.

Just an FYI in case you are chasing a similar noise...

Shumax

Definitely keep us posted, mftasch. I'm here if you need my help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal I am experiencing the "MOONROOF" rattle too. I just purchased a preowned 2011 Limited 4X4 with 84.000 miles. I tried the other solutions in this forum and they did not work. I called my local ford dealer and inquired and the service manager says he has 'never" heard of this issue before. But bring in on in and at $150 an hour they will fix it.

Crystal I am experiencing the "MOONROOF" rattle too. I just purchased a preowned 2011 Limited 4X4 with 84.000 miles. I tried the other solutions in this forum and they did not work. I called my local ford dealer and inquired and the service manager says he has 'never" heard of this issue before. But bring in on in and at $150 an hour they will fix it.
Did the dealer give you any kind of warranty when you bought the vehicle? If not, I doubt there is anything that FordService can do to help. You could send Tricia a PM using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Tricia has taken over for Crystal.

Peter

I've got a rattler too! My 2014 Sport has started squeaking rather incessantly. I think a truck that was nearly $50K new shouldn't have squeaks and rattles at 28K miles.

My steering wheel is peeling too, but that's a different problem.

I need to make a time to get it into the dealer. Unfortunately I am getting ready to start a new job and not sure how my schedule will be.

I bought Pipe Insulation in the Plumbing Department at The Home Depot and cut them in halves... I was able to strategically slide them in the rather large gap openings that surround the rear moon roof. I was careful to make sure that it didn't interfere with the moon roof shade that slides back and forth.

I have been rattle free ever since and my local roads are pretty beat up...

Total Time to fix: 20 minutes
Total Cost: $1.59

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Pipe-Insulation-ORP07812/204760801

Moonroof Rattle

Would you be so kind to take a pic or 2 of the fix you were able to come up with, so I can duplicate it.

Tim

I had the "dual moon roof rattle" and brought my ex to the dealer. They quoted me a few thousand dollars to replace the glass piece. Later, I brought to a buddy's repair shop, he took down the magnetically attached headliner and it was obvious that the rattle was caused by there not being enough sealant between a structural piece of metal and the roof sheet metal itself. Think of it like a roof joist in your house not being attached properly to the roof of your house. He sprayed some kind of expanding foam stuff in there and I haven't heard the rattle since.

Back when the dealer thought it was the glass, the rattle would be present by banging on pretty much any part of the rear section of the dual moon roof only after the car had been sitting in the sun for a while.

...Back when the dealer thought it was the glass, the rattle would be present by banging on pretty much any part of the rear section of the dual moon roof only after the car had been sitting in the sun for a while.

Makes sense, roof needs to be made with proper expansion/contraction parameters.

Makes sense, roof needs to be made with proper expansion/contraction parameters.

Can't say I was surprised due to the fact that my dash, hood, passenger door, trunk and various weatherstripping doesn't exactly fit right on my ex.

Crystal I am experiencing the "MOONROOF" rattle too. I just purchased a preowned 2011 Limited 4X4 with 84.000 miles...

You could send Tricia a PM using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Tricia has taken over for Crystal.

Peter
Welcome to the community, Gablesdad!

Like peterk9 said, my name is Tricia. I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Please make an appointment at the dealer here. Let me know once it’s scheduled, and I’ll check my resources at that time!

I've got a rattler too! My 2014 Sport has started squeaking rather incessantly. I think a truck that was nearly $50K new shouldn't have squeaks and rattles at 28K miles...
Congrats on your new job, WhatTheFehl!

Let me know when you are ready to take your Explorer into the dealer. Be sure to include your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll look into available options to assist!

Tricia

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For anyone else that has the sunroof rattle, take a 5/16 socket with extension and tighten the 4 or 5 bolts along each side of the back moonroof. Mine was rattling like crazy, after tightening the bolts that hold it to the roof the rattles are gone.

FYI. In case this helps anyone.

I too was having the dreaded moonroof rattle, which brought me to this thread. Mine was intermittent and I could sometimes go for days without hearing it, and on other days it would just rattle constantly and drive me crazy. When I took it in to the dealership they of course reported that they couldn't replicate the problem! Aargh! Not necessarily their fault, of course, but it was still disappointing to have the problem persist and show up again the very next day as I drove to work.

From sitting in the back seat with someone else driving I isolated the problem to the front left of the back moonroof panel where it attaches to the roof. Pressing up on the moonroof panel could make it go away, but of course it came back again as soon as you stopped pushing up. Pressing up on the front left of the metal bracket on the moonroof would also make the rattle stop so long as you applied pressure. So based on this, the posting quoted above seemed worth a try.

On my truck (a '14 XLT) the back moonroof panel is not attached by hex head bolts. They do have a hex shaped head but they are in fact T25 Torx screws. I tried using the 5/16 socket but found it slipped and I didn't want to strip it. When I used the T25 Torx end, connected to an extender with a screwdriver handle end, all of the screws (4 each side) seemed tight and I couldn't tighten them any more. When I used a ratchet end, however, the extra leverage it gives actually allowed me to tighten them up quite easily. I'd actually warn against over tightening. But using the ratchet handle I turned each of the screws a 1/8 turn tighter, and the one on the front left 1/4 turn and I haven't had a rattle since.

Not sure if this tightening fix is a permanent one, but it was easy enough to do. It's wonderful to be able to drive around without that infernal rattling going on! So the above fix might be worth a try if you have the same problem.

Back