DVR Power issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DVR Power issue

gideon123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Ltd
My 2014 ford explorer limited seems to be shutting off the power to the dvr (dash cam) after exactly 10 minutes. The car electronics shop told me the new ford explorer models will shut down all power after 10 minutes after locking the car. It runs fine while the car is on but when i turn off the car and lock the doors, the power cuts off after 10 minutes to the dvr. They told me i need an extra battery to power the dvr. This dvr like most is designed to capture any motion when in park mode. but like i said the explorer at exactly 10 minutes shuts down power.

I would assume they could just run wire to draw power directly from the main battery. am i missing something here?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to fix this problem?

Thanks

It's not a problem. Its the Battery Saver. It is designed to do that to prevent running down the battery. Don't know that it can be "fixed" other than running your own hot wire to the DVR. This has been in Fords for many years and is not a problem the dealer will fix.

I would assume they could just run wire to draw power directly from the main battery. am i missing something here?
Yes. If they do this, be sure they fuse it near the battery as you wouldn't want a short draining your battery or starting a fire.

Back