Dyno Tune Results | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dyno Tune Results

Lazzman said:
Notice the funky spike right around 4800rpm, wonder if this is what Doug was talking about.

While I was getting it dynoed the guy kept it for a few days and went through the entire fuel system. He replaced the Crank sensor with no effect.

He did say that his diagnostic machine showed bad gap in my spark plugs??
Next time you Dyno, have them also do your A/F ratio, might put an end to your conundrum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your max RWHP was 163?

Wow, with all of the mods you have you are just not making HP; about 30-40 off.

Did you do a run w/o that chip? Have you tried a chip/tune from another source ( an SCT one )?

Something is amiss.

a/f ratio is already dialed in at 13:1 and remains constant throug the rpm range.

My max rwhp was 165 and torq was 212. I don't think the engine is running correctly but then again I also think the transfer case and front drive shaft yoke are stealing some hp.

I am going to go to an awd dyno when I get all of this crap sorted out.

Hi Al ! I don't know what tune he had but if that is his stock HP #'s then they are close to my stock #'s. (His torque was much higher)
If that was after his Mod's then the HP #'s are low.
I never did get around to Dyno testing my 93 Program. I had a little girl and money and time were tight.

I have owned my truck since new and I can tell you it ain't running right and hasn't since I swiss cheesed the air box last summer.

I think the extra air and fuel might have messed up the spark plugs, coil or O2 sensors. Since the swiss cheese episode I have added a Volant intake, new Motorcraft MAF, 2.5" Catback exhaust, Diablosport deltachip, Hiflo fuel pump and a/f adustment.

None of these things helped the truck run like it used to. I have no engine codes and two dealers could not find any problems. My first run was done on 87oct and I turned a best of 156hp & 218lb Tq. Second run was done with 93 oct and it turned 165hp & 212 torque.

I know something is ill with the vehicle as it misfires and wants to stall at idle. It also bogs like crazy under 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I have a brand new igntion system coming and maybe some new oxygen sensors.

When this is finaly worked out and the engine is running correctly I will have the Diablosport re-tuned and run the truck on an AWD dyno.

I have dumped $2500 since last summer with no serious performance gain- when the problem is fixed we will know the true potential.

Stayed tuned :smoke:

I would bet you have a very simple problem, such as a vac leak that has caused all your Problems.
Not dissin guy but you have posted more percieved (potential) problems, than i have ever seen.
You have used a shotgun approch to solving said problems, you have thrown 2500 bux into trying to get things right, and to this point, nothing has worked.
You have been given some good info (which you do not listen too)
You state that you have a hopped up engine, your numbers do not support that claim.
They are piss poor, period.
You have either a worn out engine, or a simple problem.
You were told several mos ago that a dyno is a great diagnostic tool, that is not true.
Granted a dyno can be used to tune, if you have a tuner on site that can modify perameters in real time.
A dyno cannot tell you if you have a vac leak, bad compression, or just a burned out, worn out engine, the above are diagnosed with simple tools.
IMO you need to get back to step one and start over. looking at the simple stuff. or get rid of your EX.
Hope all gets worked out, but it seems it never will, good luck

Piss Poor? Ah Spindle 218lb of Torque at the wheel with the front shaft disconnected sounds pretty hopped up to me and that was with 87 octane. Much more torque than your sportjoke makes. I will get this hopped up engine fixed and show you that it is making some solid numbers.

I took the shotgun approach because as you know everyone on the boards has a different opinion, so do repair shops and dealers. This is especially true if your PCM is not throwing any codes. All dealers told me there was nothing wrong with the truck and they did compression tests and full fuel system checks right down to the fuel injectors.

It has been very frustrating but most parts with the exception of the chip have been well worth the investment. Aldive I would deffinately suggest you install a nice Walbro 150-190lph hi flo pump. The addition of the intake, exhaust and chip warrant it. I really noticed a nice difference.

My truck has run noticably better on everything I have put in it, but I have yet to solve the problem.

Lazzman said:
Aldive I would deffinately suggest you install a nice Walbro 150-190lph hi flo pump. The addition of the intake, exhaust and chip warrant it. I really noticed a nice difference.

Why?

With the mods you need it. Unless your not driving hard then the stock is fine.

Lazzman said:
It has been very frustrating but most parts with the exception of the chip have been well worth the investment. .

Have you tried another chip/tune?

Lazzman said:
With the mods you need it. Unless your not driving hard then the stock is fine.

Unless you have forced induction and/or larger injectors, there is no reason not to use a stock pump.

just a thought. higher torque, lower horses, missing... maybe head gasket going slowly? steam from coolant = unstoppable torque, stifling the flame front causing decreased power output, or just killing the spark all together. i know you say ford did a check up for you, but did they give up the numbers? make certain all the small things are in place, like the proper gaps, and if its still fubared then you probe for bigger problems.

i have 4x4, all stock too (i'll just slip that stupid "silencer" back in), i just don't know of any dynos in my area, if you know of one in my area (cincy/ dayton) i'll look into getting a baseline, i do have almost 140K now tho.

and a tranfer case should make a difference since to motor has to contend with throwing a little extra weight around, whether or not the front shaft is hooked up it still has chains and sprokets and the clutch still needing to spin.

Lazzman said:
Piss Poor? Ah Spindle 218lb of Torque at the wheel with the front shaft disconnected sounds pretty hopped up to me and that was with 87 octane. Much more torque than your sportjoke makes. I will get this hopped up engine fixed and show you that it is making some solid numbers.
Lazz
Your making nowhere near the numbers I am.

http://www.precision-autosports.com/index.php

it looks like about 30-45 mins from me. i sent an email to see how long it would take so i can co-ordiante time form work. probly not a awd dyona since they are all about mustangs and f-bodies but the way our control-trac tranfer cases work, full power always gets to the rear wheels so i'll drop the front shaft if i can get in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lazz you said ever since swiss cheesing the air box the truck hasn't run right. I would check all connections in that area including vaccum, electrical, etc..
I took my air box out, cut a large section out of the front (like a Volant) .. roughly 7 times the original and installed a TrueFlow filter .... I had no problems. It sounds like we made very similar modifications to our vehicles.
Even if the front drive shaft is dropped power will still be applied to the transfer case and it will decrease the #'s. If you go the brown wire way you can go on a AWD dyno but the front will still kick in ... just very slowly.

Back