1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Earn while you learn (The Apprentice School)

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Okrazie1, December 10, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Okrazie1

Okrazie1 Elite Zoom Zoomer!

City, State:
      Newport News, VA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '95 Ranger
      As a graduate of The Apprentice School, I thought that many of you might not know of the program's existence, and that it could be of interest to some of you.

The Apprentice School is a program at Northrop Grumman Newport News (formerly known as Newport News Shipbuilding) where your workday is split between on-the-job training and classroom learning. It allows you the opportunity to learn a trade, get an education, and earn a living at the same time. There are seventeen different skilled crafts to choose from, and also advanced programs which offer the opportunity to become a designer or production planner. I don't believe there are many places where you get paid while sitting in the classroom :D .

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. SteveVB

SteveVB Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gaithersburg, Maryland
      04 Rubicon w/stuff
      That looks like a great program, do you have a commitment to them for a period of time after you are done? How selective are they in admitting someone?

Thats a great alternative to spending 25+ thousand to go to college for 4 years and get a BA and make basically what they are paying while you learn skills, and some advanced general education.

4. Skibug

Skibug Active Member

City, State:
      Pensacola, FL
      96 Sport 4x4
      Almost any college has a co-op program. I work for the federal government being a co-op in Electrical Engineering right now while going to college. It is a great way to earn your way through college and also to make sure you like what your going for in college. I enjoy EE, but I don't think I want to do it once I graduate.

5. Okrazie1

Okrazie1 Elite Zoom Zoomer!

City, State:
      Newport News, VA
      '95 Ranger
      This is different than a co-op program (NGNN has a co-op program also). The co-op program requires you to be enrolled in an engineering program, and you alternate work and school terms. In the Apprentice School, you work and go to school at the same time. For example, you may work in the morning from 7 to 12, then have class from 12:30 'til 3:30. The Apprentice School also teaches you a trade, so later on if you do become a designer, you actually have an idea what you are designing, because you have actually worked on it before.

There is no commitment to the company after your apprenticeship is completed. As far as selectivity goes, as long as you have the required credits as listed on the admissions page, and was a decent student in high school, your chances are probably pretty good to being admitted. I believe I have seen statistics on the application/admission rate before, but I do not recall what it was. I do know that the graduating class of 2002 (graduation is held once a year) was 115 people, and the class of 2003 was 84 people.